Roadhawk Front Air Dam and Spoiler Scan & Print Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Roadhawk Front Air Dam and Spoiler Scan & Print Project

Postby aprayzr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:44 pm

I gently bumped the front air dam and broke it while trying to lower the car off the jack stands.. Cussed and threw things. Considered selling/giving to Bryan McCready. Left it alone for a few days. Came to my senses! Lol

Decided to see if I could get the part scanned and printed. I found a company in Denver that will scan it to a CAD file for printing. Originally thought it to be less than four hours to scan, at @125/hr, and touch-up the CAD file to get it ready to print a part. After removing the parts still attached, there are now seven larger pieces of the middle part of the front air dam, plus a lot a tiny bits that flaked-off. The two corner pieces are mostly intact. After discussion with the scanning company, the cost is likely to be over $1,000 to take the project all the way through printing.

Planning to have them scan the spoiler too. It is in good shape, but might as well get it scanned before it breaks. Should be cheaper to scan since it is flatter and in one piece. Have to see how broke I am after the air dam is done.

Once the file is made, I can have them, or anyone who has the printer, print one up. I will let you know the final cost so all can partake!
aprayzr

Re: Roadhawk Front Air Dam and Spoiler Scan & Print Project

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 pm

I am projecting that this will be scanned on a CNC machine with a Laser? If so (really any scanner should handle this idea) now I really mean this, not just screwing around! "Duct tape this together from the non visible side, it only has to be able to hold it's own weight, use Barbeque skewers popsicle sticks what ever so that the light sees something reasonably correctly shaped and then let them scan the part. Then remove any added structure from any details that will be needed from the inside for scanning and let them do the rest with a "wall-stock" feature which should be in their software for the rest. This is a good thing you are doing here, most just give up! Thank you for going the extra Dollar, I mean mile. Is this close to the "Mirage" front air dam, does anybody know, that would help with sales? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Binksbuick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 pm

If you are looking for possible orders for the air dam and spoiler you can count me in as interested. Roadhawk VIN 4 S07A 97407410
Binksbuick

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:19 am

Monza Harry wrote:Is this close to the "Mirage" front air dam, does anybody know, that would help with sales? Harry

well here are a couple of front shots to compare. Real close but not exact. Harry
Bryan's Rroadhawk.jpg
Farah Fawcett Mirage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Project Journals