1980 Monza Spyder

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1980 Monza Spyder

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:16 am

So about a year ago I bought this 1980 Spyder from Monzamaddogger and had it shipped to me in Arizona.

While the car runs and drives OK with the four cylinder, the time has come to up the game a bit. I went to a local engine builder, Phoenix Engine, and ordered up a custom built 350.
In addition to pulling the 4cyl, I also had the 4 speed transmission rebuilt.

Well, the new motor is built and ready to go in along with the rebuilt tranny. The engine dynoed at just over 360 HP which is modest but since I still only have the original rear-end in the car, that's about the upper limit of where I wanted to go with it.

Plans down the line are to replace the rear end with something beefier and then I'll replace the heads on the motor and convert to fuel injection to bring it up to 400+ HP.
I also plan to replace the 4spd with a Tremec 5spd sometime next year but all of this has to wait until I can get AC in this car. Arizona in the summertime with no AC is harsh.
Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, then came the rules
Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
And the dirty old track was the Telegraph Road.
Brian

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: 1980 Monza Spyder

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm not a V8 guy but it looks to me like you will have to move the radiator forward to have enough room. I'm sure others will chime in.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Yeah, I agree it does look like the accessories are more forward and not sure what is planned in terms of a fan setup. Also, hope you addressed the specific oil pan required for clearance around the centerlink. What are the specs on the engine? Sounds like it should perform nicely in a Monza.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:58 pm

The radiator mount is being fabricated to move the rad forward. The Griffin rad is the 400 HP model for H-Body cars. Once it's in, a custom shroud and electric fan unit will be built by Griffin to ensure adequate cooling. The serpentine accessory setup adds 9" from the front of the block so it's going to be tight.

The oil pan is the Monza specific one from Moroso so should clear everything.

We are trying to avoid moving the engine back but if it comes to it the shop says it can be done.

As for engine specs I'll have to dig out the spec sheet but off the top of my head we've got a Holley 750, Comp Cams 480 Hydraulic cam, Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons with moly rings, the Moroso oil pan, Sanderson Monza headers, and that's the best I can do from memory.

With the custom work going into the radiator mount the engine itself probably won't be going in until December.
I likely won't be here when it's done since we will be in Mexico but even once it's up and running I still need to take it to another shop to complete the exhaust work (Side Pipes!) and subframe/roll bar work. Oh, and the headers will be getting ceramic coated in black.
Brian

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 pm

I don't see how that drive assembly is going to clear the steering box either!
monzaaddict

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:46 pm

The engine is in. We did have to modify the location of the power steering pump slightly which was accomplished by fabbing a bracket extension to relocate it and then replacing the belt with a longer one.

The passenger side headers also had to be cut and adjusted since they were rubbing. Oh, and we had to ding the #7 tube a bit to clear the steering shaft. Now that the test fitting and adjustments are done they are being sent off for ceramic coating.

I was hoping to move the radiator just an inch or so forward but the hood release bracket made that impossible so, unfortunately, I had to go with a pusher fan.

Next up is some rust repair on the subframe for the transmission crossmember mount and then buttoning it all up and starting it for the first time.
Once that's done, it's off to RPM (Redline Performance Manufacturing) for the custom exhaust/sidepipes. Those guys do beautiful work.
Brian

Return to Project Journals