Found major problem--TPS Wiring

Moderator: Moderators

Found major problem--TPS Wiring

Postby vegatex » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:17 pm

I found and fixed the major problem with getting the car to run-- I mentioned the TPS codes 21 and 22 came up, so I though maybe I would start there because I could diagnose it with a digital multimeter. SO when I probed the TPS, I discovered that it was showing 4.60 volts at closed, and 0.50 at WOT-- exactly opposite to what you would expect. As I mentioned, there's a known problem with using the '86-'87 TPS with an '84-'85 TB, because it works just the opposite mechanically from the '84-'85 TPS. So I wondered what would happen if I switched the grey and black wires on the connector. So I made the swap, and TADA! Now i got low volts with the throttle blade closed and high volts at WOT, just like I should!!! So I adjusted the TPS for 0.44 volts at idle, 4.5 volts at WOT, and tried to start. After cranking and getting nothing again, I notices that the LED light on the cam sensor cap was not on-- usually that means I'm not getting power into the ignition module. So I wiggled the connector a bit, the cam cap lit up, and I tried again-- VROOM!-- Instant start! It's still running a bit rough off idle, and I am getting a few codes, but basically it was the TPS that kept it from starting yesterday. I think with some more troubleshooting and tuning with TurboLink I'll be OK. Now if I only had my leak fixed!

Later,
Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

ENGINEUITY---------------

Postby mldeolde » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:11 pm

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad to hear you found the "BUGS" and killed them. doesn't the VAROOM make it all worth while? :) :) :)
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:25 pm

Yeah man. cool deal.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:06 pm

VEGATEX; :shock: YOU COULD START A HOLE NEW BREED,,,,, OF H-TURBO POWER,,, I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD AWHILE, AND IT'S THE RIGHT STUFF,,, NOW GO TO THE OLD MOM AND POP STYLE GROCERY AND SEE IF YOU CAN FIND THAT LITTLE ALLUMINUM PIE PLATE WITH THE RAW CORN AND EXPANDABLE TOP AND WIRE HANDLE CALLED JIFFY POP YOU REMEMBER THIS YOU RUB IT BACK IN FORTH ON THE STOVE,,OR COOK ON THE TURBO PIPE WHILE YOU CHECK THE UNDERHOOD TEMPS WITH THE HOOD UP AND DOWN,,,,H-BODY UNDER HOOD COOKIN,,,,IN TEXAS. MIKE 8) 8) NOW I KNOW WHERE THAT COLD FRONT GOT A PUSH OUR WAY FROM ABILENE (TURBO TOWN)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegatex » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:41 pm

Well, it's far from being right, but it's progress in the right direction. Got to attack my leaks first (the water pump started leaking out the weep hole this afternoon-- UGH), but once I'm over that hump, I'm going to invest in TurboLink and start clearing codes and tuning. The best thing is that it looks like my $35 computer and home-made wiring harness works. I may not be the best wrench, but I'm hell with a wiring diagram, crimps, shrink wrap, and a soldering iron!
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Hammer Time

Postby 79monztah » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:01 pm

Dude CRANK that thing!!!! Being a diagnostic tech is pretty tough, but having a wiring diagram makes it a whole lot easier. Just chase the right color wires and making sure the sensors have all the right votages, the thing should run great. Good job on the TPS. :burn: SIDEWAZZZ

Andy
79 monza spyder
79monztah

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Electrical and Wiring