remote soleniod wiring /aftermarket starter not compatible ?

Moderator: Moderators

remote soleniod wiring /aftermarket starter not compatible ?

Postby rtm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:53 am

hey all,
haven't posted anything lately,still a daily lurker.
having issues with my high torque starter/ taylor four pole/ remote "ford type" soleniod install.
the taylor switch and summit starter work fine when used alone, but when I try to wire in a remote soleniod, the starter engages while the key is in the RUN position.
I have tried two different remote soleniods, both yield similar results.
I KNOW the wiring is correct,(went over it a dozen times at least)
as stated, when I return to a normal wiring scenerio(just taylor switch and hitachi style starter ) everything works fine,
factor in the remote soleniod, and the starter engages out of phase.
anyone ever experience this before?
I would like to use the remote soleniod, (now that I own two :rolleyes: )
but will abandon it if need be
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-829100/ (starter)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taylor-1 ... 0619791402 (switch)
http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/168/24106/ (solenoid #1)
http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/sta ... ts&t=SS597 (soleniod #2 )

on taylor switch- batt. cable on one large post, cable to starter on other large post (small posts have brown alternator wire to and from engine bay)
remote soleniod- cable from taylor switch in , large cable to starter motor out.
purple 10 guage wire from oil pressure switch to small terminal on remote soleniod.
originally had a small (10 guage ) wire from large post out of soleniod to small post on starter.
then tried a jumper wire (eliminating aforementioned 10 guage) from large post to small post on starter.
when I did this, the starter would engage AS SOON as I turned on the taylor switch.
A test light revealed power continuously at both large posts of the soleniod
when testing the small post on the soleniod, I had a very faint light, that got brighter as the key was turned to START
both remote soleniods were firewall mounted (base grounded)
I'm going to proofread this a dozen times before posting, to make sure it's not too confusing.
thanx for reading, and thanx in advance for any help :th:
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Re: remote soleniod wiring /aftermarket starter not compatible ?

Postby rtm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:28 pm

http://www.camaros.net/forums/attachmen ... 1304083101
http://www.camaros.net/forums/attachmen ... 1304083131
tried these methods b-4 (won't work)

this from same site;
Turns out if you are running a Hitachi style PMGR (Permanent Magnet gear reduction) starter and remote solenoid - you do need to wire it without the jumper wire and follow the Tuff Stuff wiring diagram above.

It seems you cannot run a remote soleniod with a hitachi style starter.

p.s I now have two ALMOST NEW remote soleniods for sale :oops:
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
rtm

Postby stage169 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Crazy, I looked around some and found this:

We replaced an existing mini starter with a new Hitachi mini starter using a remote solenoid. . .

PROBLEM: Starter would not disengage after starting engine for a few seconds?? We shimmed inside, outside, overall, filed edges on ring gear but nothing would work.
SOLUTION: Studied other posting, manufacturers instructions and came to conclusion that having jumper from " B" terminal on remote solenoid to " S" terminal on starter solenoid is INCORRECT. Wiring should be " S " terminal on remote solenoid to " S " terminal on starter solenoid... SOLVED PROBLEM..
REASON: Ignition switch shut off has enough delay working THROUGH solenoid rather than instantanous shut off from key ignition switch on " S " terminal. Might be reverse EMF magnetism from starter itself holding up solenoid disconnet or just mechanical time delay in remote solenoid spring pushing contacts open... Just changed wire location.. HORRAY .. THERESA

You can find the forum here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mini-st ... 02416.html

Let us know if you try it and it works for you. Brian
stage169

Postby rtm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:52 am

thanx 4 response,
since both the solenoids I purchased have only one small post, I'm not sure I can test this method.
Am I correct in assuming the solenoid mentioned has two small posts (normally used on non HEI systems ) ?
the other small post would normally power the coil on these vehicles, right ?
anyhow, for those of you who do read this thread be aware that you WILL have trouble with a remote solenoid/hitachi style mini-starter.
since I would have to buy yet a THIRD solenoid to test the method described above, I will have to gracefully decline, :lol:
I am wiring my RE-wiring my system today W/O either of my remote solenoids :bang:
just need to hear the car run, SOON
rtm

Return to Electrical and Wiring