Turn Signal Relay Switch

Moderator: Moderators

Turn Signal Relay Switch

Postby chadiusmax » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 pm

I have found that the turn signal/horn relays don't seem to be lasting very long in my 1977 Astre. The last one I managed to get to last almost 3 months by being very careful about not letting my signals blink more than ten times. Eventually the relay stops functioning for the turn signals, yet my horn still functions. If I remove a good relay the turn signals don't work.

I can still activate the signals manually by pressing up/down on the turn signal arm. If I press all the way the light will stay on, but not flash/blink. I don't think that the relay is strong enough for the trun signals.

Has anybody split this relay using a regular turn signal flasher? Or am I barking up the wrong tree... :bang:
chadiusmax

Re: Turn Signal Relay Switch

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 am

Arf! Arf! Arf! The horn relay is usually black or white plastic and has 3 terminals(black, green & red), while the turn signal relay is of the 2-pin variety with a metal case. It's hanging under the dash with purple and tan wires on it(the hazard flasher looks the same, but plugs into the fuse box). If you're having problems with turn signals, upgrade to an "electronc" style flasher(clear plastic case). They cost 3x as much as the "thermal" metal case flashers, but last 10x as long.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Turn Signal Relay Switch

Postby chadiusmax » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm

I AM AN IDIOT!!! :bang:

I followed the schematics from Spencerforhire and figured that there had to be another relay. Hidden way up under my dash was the turn signal relay. Replaced it and everything is working. Maybe I should just quit while I am behind. \\Feeling extra silly//
chadiusmax

Return to Electrical and Wiring