80 Monza Temp/Volt Gauge

Moderator: Moderators

80 Monza Temp/Volt Gauge

Postby tony1963 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:26 am

I was able to purchase a NOS temp/volt gauge for my 80 Monza. It has lights now and I'm wondering how you wire this up for both?

I noticed that out under the hood is a wire taped back at the factory that is near the factory temp lead on the light sending unit. Has anyone done this before?

I'm wondering if the vehicles are wired for both or if I'll have to wire to the units. Also, if so, how do you do this?

Thanks.
tony1963

Re: 80 Monza Temp/Volt Gauge

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 pm

I can't tell you exactly but cars with gauges use two different sending units. A sending unit for a light in the dash is simply a switch that is designed to work at a certain temperature to turn the light on. A sending unit for a gauge has variable resistance that provides the correct voltage for a gauge to operate. So, at minimum you will need a sending unit designed for your factory gauge. On my 75 Monza I have a sending unit in each head, one for the light and one for the gauge. I may be able to locate one if you need it. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby tony1963 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm not concerned with the sending units themselves, just the wiring.
tony1963

Postby my79monza » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:13 pm

You can't just buy a Temp/volt gauge and install it in a dash that was originally non gauge/idiot light big fuel gauge, the entire dash structure including the printed circuit is different between the gauge and the non gauge ones.
You can believe me or not, your choice, but I've been there converting my 79 base unit to a factory gauge dash.
I have a couple of dash panels laying around I think of which I could take pictures of and send them to you so you can see for yourself the differences.
I wouldn't let this stop you from the goal as it's reachable just more difficult than first imagined, been there done that.
The choices are few either the idiot light or the gauge unit with volt/temp tach/fuel gauge
Both styles allow for a clock.Good luck in your venture.
The wiring is not a huge issue as you mentioned there is a green wire bent over and taped but it only goes to the bulkhead connector, you have to remove the fuse panel, split it and add a wire to go to the gauge there is also a brown wire loose there that can work for a tach but it also ends at the bulkhead connector.
OH BTY the senders are different as mentioned.
Merle
my79monza

Postby firebird77clone » Sun May 05, 2013 7:05 pm

You'll need a voltage reducer to drop the 12V to 5V. The reduced voltage will go to one side of the guage, the other to the sending units.

As previously mentioned, you have physical issues to resolve with the printed circuit and location.
firebird77clone

Postby firebird77clone » Sun May 05, 2013 7:07 pm

You'll need a voltage reducer to drop the 12V to 5V. The reduced voltage will go to one side of the guage, the other to the sending units.

As previously mentioned, you have physical issues to resolve with the printed circuit and location.
firebird77clone

Return to Electrical and Wiring