What's a good dash guage option -- GT gauges are toast.

Moderator: Moderators

What's a good dash guage option -- GT gauges are toast.

Postby robert123 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:06 am

Dash is decent...... but GT gauges are ruuuuuusty...... etc.

If I buy a GT gauge cluster one off ebay.com -- it may not work when I get it in the mail.
Do they have any original/aftermarket gauges that fit/replace the original Tach.. Speedo....and other gauges?
Thank you.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: What's a good dash guage option -- GT gauges are toast.

Postby dadhad1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

I used the Stewart Warner 'Deluxe' series for all my replacement gauges and like them.
Below is probably the best pic I have of my cluster available on the web.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1151167002 ... 1657546818

They are good quality gauges, have sizes that fit the GT cluster, and have that 'close to factory' face to them (black face, white lettering).
For some of the gauges, you'll likely need to make minor mods to the mounting base plate to get them where you want them, but nothing crazy.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Mike the originals can be fixed/recalibrated or those aftermarket ones can be refaced to original or custom style or colours. My speedo and tach are in right now for new numbers 160Mi and 8000 RPM at Bob's Speedometer. He is near enough to me in Howell MI found his link in one of the link pages (here or V8 Monza or ?) I will post up Pic's when they return, expected within a week or two testing is still a LONG way off! P.S. this isn't a cheap process you can buy a P.O.S. car for the price of this conversion! (Piece Of S#!+) Harry http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/speedometers.asp
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby robert123 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:47 am

Monza Harry wrote:Mike the originals can be fixed/recalibrated or those aftermarket ones can be refaced to original or custom style or colours. My speedo and tach are in right now for new numbers 160Mi and 8000 RPM at Bob's Speedometer. He is near enough to me in Howell MI found his link in one of the link pages (here or V8 Monza or ?) I will post up Pic's when they return, expected within a week or two testing is still a LONG way off! P.S. this isn't a cheap process you can buy a P.O.S. car for the price of this conversion! (Piece Of S#!+) Harry http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/speedometers.asp

Thanks Mike and Harry. I'm surprised how well the gauges fit in dadhad1 -- summit.com has all ~6 gauges for approx. $400.... And bobspeedometer sounds like $500 -1000...

* I like the original Gt gauges .... guess Ill try and order the GT Gauge Cluster from a wrecking yard for $100-200. They can test it to show me it works -- and I'll have an return option.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Robert123 Here's the pic's I promised, they came in on time and (only slightly) under quote! The lens must be dirty as the faces are XLNT!
Monza Gauges.JPG
The yellow line is 6500 and Red is 7000 doesn't seem to show well in this pic. The Km's are also removed to unclutter the face with the extra numbers up top. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jed14 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:25 pm

I was interested in doing something like that- are the gauges silkscreened or is it a vinyl transfer?
Thanks
jed14

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 pm

I am not sure what process Bob`s Speedometer uses, I can`t tell by looking and I don`t want to touch them. I just dropped them off left some cash, he emailed me, sent more cash, then he mailed them. All (except the cash part) was pretty painless! I supplied the gauges from another car I stripped years ago. Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring