Temp gauge sending unit

Moderator: Moderators

Temp gauge sending unit

Postby azbigal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Hey folks, there seems to be some confusion on my part as to the correct part number for a tempature gauge sending unit for my 75 Monza 2+2 with a 350. Help please. Thanks, AL
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Temp gauge sending unit

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:43 pm

What part numbers are you looking at? It is important to get the correct one for the gauge to operate correctly. If you need help locating or getting one let me know. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby azbigal » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Clyde, do you know the ohm specs for the correct sensor?
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Off hand I do not, however many replacement senders are not exactly calibrated like the originals which throws off the accuracy. Even the GM (ACDelco) senders are not always accurate because they end up covering gauges for many years and makes of cars and are more broader in their range.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby azbigal » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:40 pm

We'll, you indicated that you may be able to find one, but it sounds like a gamble at best. If found, are you willing to test it on your car before the selling it to me? If so, see what you can do. Thanks, AL
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:20 pm

The place I get these from make them specifically to match the original calibration for the older gauges they were designed for. The correct one should look like the second from the left with the small button on top. Many replacements are more generic in their calibration that cover a much broader series of gauges, older ones as well as later ones. This is an exact replacement in terms of calibration for the original GM part number sender. Most replacement senders cover more than one GM part number and that's why they may not be exact in their calibration.
Here's what they say about them
"Both auto part's stores and GM/Delco do sell replacement temperature sending unit, but they do not produce an accurate gauge reading in vintage cars. This is because sending units from an auto part's store and even GM, are only a generic replacement; often requiring a new, matching gauge or re-calibration of your original gauge. Months of research were devoted to this project in order to provide our customers with sending units that have the original-type terminal connection, housing and resistance (thermistor); resulting in an accurate gauge reading. They screw right into the 1/2" (not 3/8") pipe thread hole (as original)."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby azbigal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:59 pm

We'll I need one. Send me a price. Thanks, AL
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring