Battery draw when car is off

Moderator: Moderators

Battery draw when car is off

Postby GT72 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:02 pm

IMG_0242.jpg
Looking for a little help. Please. So i went out to start the car, 72 GT with 350, and had a stone cold dead battery. )ne month old battery too. Seems I have a draw off it. Pulled battery cable and jumped with test light. Pulled each fuse one at a time, nothing. Pulled power from alternator side, nothing. Did a little google searches, decided to disconnect horn relay. Test light flickered but not out. I pulled the 2 wire plug from alternator, light goes out. So my problem seems to be what? The 2 loose wires from the horn relay, off the hub stub, if I touch them together, light comes on. One is like pink or orange with a fusible link that goes into the harness. The other black or dark blue goes into junction box at fire wall. And then the alternator wires. Please help
Tried to upload pics but it seems the files were too large?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT72

Re: Battery draw when car is off

Postby Smiley » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:44 am

In the alternator plug the gray wire should be brown, only hot with the key on and runs to the dash light.
Smiley

Postby GT72 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 pm

IMG_0252.jpg
Okay, the gray wire is spliced to a brown wire and is hot only when key is on. I pulled all the tape back looking any other problem areas and I found the battery wire from the alternator and the red wire from the #2 side of the alternator plug were spliced into a red wire that goes to the horn relay junction. is that correct? Plus the alternator is very warm I disconnected everything
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT72

Postby Smiley » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:23 am

Smiley

Return to Electrical and Wiring