1971 Vega fastback with V-8 & auto trans. SOLD! SOLD!

H-Body items only please.

Moderator: Moderators

1971 Vega fastback with V-8 & auto trans. SOLD! SOLD!

Postby JohnP2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm

For sale is my 1971 Vega fastback. This car was a base hatchback 4-speed Vega and was converted to V-8 by a previous owner. I bought this car off eBay approx 5 years ago, it came from Michigan.

The car has a 400 sbc with Turbo 350 auto transmission and B&M ratchet type shifter. Manual trans is set up to work best shifting gears manually. The engine has a solid lifter cam (specs unknown), Victor Jr intake, iron Chevy heads, HEI distributor, double pumper carb, single stage NOS setup which I never ran, but left on the car. New NOS bottle. Electric fuel pump. Roll control "line lock" is on the car. Don Hardy engine mounts. 12-bolt Chevy rear with stock type rear suspension. Aluminum rad with pusher electric fan plus a flex fan. Rear mount battery in steel box w switch at rear of car. Car has run high 12’s in quarter mile. Only ran a few times and I really did not push it hard.

I had an 800cfm carb I rebuilt with a Proform main body and installed. Additionally I put an MSD Ultimate HEI kit in the distributor. I also put on an Edlbrock aluminum water pump. To dress up the engine and give it a more vintage look I put on a nice set of finned aluminum valve covers.

Some more things I did to the car: I had the headers ceramic coated, gas tank has been restored by tank RENU (tank has a sump in it), installed AJE tubular front a-arms, installed Spohn tubular rear control arms, Spohn bump steer tie rod ends.

The front a-arms DO NOT have a sway bar mount as shown in the picture. AJE did not make the swaybar mount correctly. It was in the wrong spot and was not tall enough. I did not want to wait and have the car unmovable while I waited for AJE to correct their error. Since I had planned to mostly run the car at the drag strip, I figured I'd keep the front sway bar off. So I cut off the mount shown in the picture. Thinking I'd get the correct mount from AJE in the future...I never did. You'd have to fabricate your own mount or get a correct one from AJE to weld on if you were going to do a lot of street driving. I have both the front and rear swaybars, but neither are on the car now. They will go with the car. I put in a new pic with spring in place.

When I got the car it had a tall lift-off cowl hood. I really wanted to make the car look more like a vintage “Motion” like car, so I put on a fiberglass L-88 style hood, and a front spoiler. The hood was made by the notorious Showcars and does not fit the best. But, it hinges from the front and looks cool. The previous owner did a base coat clear coat paint job on the car himself. He did a nice job, but used a mixture of leftover paints and in bright sun looked oddly blotchy. The interior where bare body showed was much darker.
I really wanted the car to look older like it had an enamel OE like paint. I had been reading about and was fascinated by the “roller” paint jobs people were doing so; I tried one on the Vega. It is a Royal blue, and I’d say is a “10ft” paint job. As you can see in the pics the black areas on the body and hood. Those were done in flat black, but sprayed.

Wheels are aluminum slotted. 14” in front, 15” in rear with BGF tires, drag radials in back. 5 lug front conversion with S-10 spindles done by previous owner. Disk brakes in front, drum on rear.

This is a pretty solid car; body is in nice shape with no rust. Surface rust in spots on undercarriage, like most any car. Battery area in front was rusted at some point in life of car and was fiber glassed over by a previous owner. Rear has fiberglass fender flares. Car does not have wipers, got it that way, but I have a motor and wipers with linkage to go with car.

Interior is basic Vega. Seats are in nice shape, where probably tan at one time. I re-dyed them. No back seat. Newer carpet in back area. Dash pad is nice. Dash has shift light on top of it and switch and light for NOS system activation. Big tach under dash.

I got this car to have fun with working on and perhaps get more into drag racing. This car was not about being perfect or spotless. I had a lot of plans for the car, hoping to modify and learn welding and fabrication. But, these day my interests have changed, and I never have the time to get the car where I wanted it to be. I'm not selling because I have to. Might consider trade involving early 70's Corvette.

I have some spare parts I will include with the car. Spare grill, some new front and rear shocks, new air bags for rear springs (never installed), some misc brake parts for rear. Rear brakes are sticking a bit and I was gathering parts for rear brake job.

I also have a new set of Don Hardy headers which I will consider including with the car.
The headers on the car now were pitted when I got the car, I had them ceramic coated to help make them last longer, thinking headers for a v-8 Vega might be hard to come by, especially with the DH motor mounts. Last batch of headers Bob Grumm got Don Hardy to make, I ordered a set.

I will update post with more detailed pictures including interior pics when I get a chance to take picture this weekend.

Any questions please PM me. I’m listing the car for sale here first, hoping an H-body enthusiast with purchase it.

I have been on the forum since I got this car. If you wanted to search my posts use JohnP or JohnP2.

Asking 6,000

Car is in NJ

Thanks for looking

JohnP
Vega1.jpg

Vega2.jpg

Vega3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JohnP2 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Re: 1971 Vega fastback with V-8 & auto trans.

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 am

john pm me your contact info, a friend of mine is on a road trip thru the states and might be interested, said he wanted a early vega and yours is about as early as you can get lol! p.s. this dude has had a few v8vegas over the years in nova scotia and does lurk the site here and there. thanks. oh, didnt you have a thread about painting your car? i searched but cant seem to find it.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby JohnP2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=643&start=60

this is the thread where I posted a few times about the paint job I did on the car
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby JohnP2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Addtional pictures taken today, Sat. June 9th

JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby als73vega » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Where in Jersey you at.
als73vega

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Wouldn't take much more to make that car look like a Motion Vega. I like it.
Wizeguyrc

Postby JohnP2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks, I was going for the "Motion" look but didn't want to copy it exactly. I reversed how the hood would have been painted, and took the black on the back from how some of the Motion Vettes were done.

Your clone is so cool..those period speed parts are amazing. Looking forward to seeing the pic of it fully completed.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Bill K » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Today I took a trip to John's house to look at the car he is selling. The car is very nice and is represented honestly.
I was looking for a car that is more of a street car, this is a race car; because of this I did not make the purchase.
For anyone looking for a very nice automobile I would seriously consider this car.
Bill
measure twice cut once
Bill K

Postby MFP06 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 am

is it still for sale??? mike in pa aaaaaamarlo@juno.com
MFP06

Postby JohnP2 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01 am

Yes, car is still for sale.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby duke72gt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Very good looking vega,did somone get it.
duke72gt

Postby JohnP2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 am

The car is still available for purchase. It could be yours. Make me an offer. :D

If I get a reasonable offer, I will include the new Don Hardy header.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby duke72gt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey john i will get the word out,have some people asking about vegas after they seen mine.The car you have is there nice looking,i would like to ask in one of your pic's you show the front end at the oil pan and your steering leakages looks like its about a inch or better from the oil pan, just wondering what you did to get that space. thanks greg.
duke72gt

Postby JohnP2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am

I bought the car that way. I did not do the v-8 swap.

The oil pan is un-modified. I always wondered if it may be a V-8 Monza oil pan? Or its a pan from back in the day made specifically for a Vega sbc swap.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby JohnP2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:41 am

Price reduced. $5000
I will include the new Don Hardy headers with sale.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Next

Return to For Sale