better Brakes

Moderator: Moderators

better Brakes

Postby erik monza » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:11 am

After 8 years of built I am starting to drive my 1976 305TPI with a Th700R4 - Monza 2+2 , yes almost 10 miles so far, as the transmission is not shifting that well, due to aseblygrease in the valvebodies? and or due to the fine adjustment of the TV cable ?.

Brakes are getting better all the time, as the car has been sitting still for a long time, but is a far cry from new cars, yes, we have been through the s10 conversion hubs and axels,
At our hotel, ( Brinkly.dk) we have guest with Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Maserati’s and so on, and the amount of and size of brakes are “BIG” .

I think there most be somebody, who can make a bigger set of brakes for the front, as this is the main area of trouble, I have 15” rims all around, I have even seen hubs where they have 2 calibers on the same hub.

I do not remember hands on how the hubs looks like, but a steel plate across the hub with a caliber on each side wound be a nice setup, or in my mind it sounds like a good idea, now I will go out and pull of a wheel, as something has to happen, hope you guys have an opinion on this.

I am happy to be back in here and thanks from Erik
Erik - - - Thanks everybody, I enjoy this community
in 77 I had a 1974 Vega GT w auto - from 77 till 79 a1975 Monza 2+2 262 w 4 speed - from 80 till 85 a 1978 Monza Spyder 305 w auto - from 2010 on a1976 Monza 2+2 262 w auto change to 305TPI w 4speed auto (my 4th H body)
erik monza

Location: Hotel Brinkly - Denmark- Helsingor.-. former Canadian - Calgary - private email: gterik@gmail.com

Re: better Brakes

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 am

Welcome back, Erik!

To be honest, your biggest obstacle is those 15" wheels. It will be hard to get any larger brakes packaged inside that small of wheel. You didn't say what rear brakes you're using, but if it is drum, a rear disc conversion would be helpful. Of course, the kind of friction (brake pads) can make a difference, though. A good street/track pad that I've used on my Miata is from a company here in the States named Porterfield: their R4-S compound. They work cold and warm, don't make noise, and don't dust too badly.

I upgraded to 17" wheels years ago, since performance tires for 15" wheels were getting scarce. I have adapted front brakes from a '92-'96 Corvette and rear brakes from a '95-'01 Ford Explorer. Even with street pads, along with the vacuum booster I just added, I am pleased with the braking performance.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 am

Erik,

Make sure you check postings under the "Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech" section also. I copied this thread to that area so you will hopefully get more responses.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby erik monza » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Hello again I just moved the tread over here where it belongs - sorry

Like many others I have a poor braking Monza and want the easy solution

I have 15" rims all around so I have more room than stock

Our Hyundai H1 van have 15" wheels and a lot better brakes, so I cannot see the need to go to 17" rims

Maybe I should measure the van and move the spindles and rear axle over.

I have seen calibers with 2 and even 3 pistons - I have seen spindles with 2 calibers.

It is possible to do something, as everybody else, I like to do the easy - but still the good solution.

Thanks guys for any opinion - Hi from Erik
Erik - - - Thanks everybody, I enjoy this community
in 77 I had a 1974 Vega GT w auto - from 77 till 79 a1975 Monza 2+2 262 w 4 speed - from 80 till 85 a 1978 Monza Spyder 305 w auto - from 2010 on a1976 Monza 2+2 262 w auto change to 305TPI w 4speed auto (my 4th H body)
erik monza

Location: Hotel Brinkly - Denmark- Helsingor.-. former Canadian - Calgary - private email: gterik@gmail.com

Return to Craigslist and Ebay