200 m tranny question. Help

Moderator: Moderators

200 m tranny question. Help

Postby 76monzaman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 am

How does one go about adjusting the shift cable on the 200 M ? I here if not done correctly it could be the death of the lite duty tranny.
My 77 Monza with a 305 stock came with this 200m tranny from the factory, I have pulled the motor for a rebuild, and want to assure that I get it right upon reassembly.
Motor is left stock no upgrades, just a freshen up. i searched the site but did not locate anything as to how the adjustment is made.
76monzaman

Re: 200 m tranny question. Help

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:51 am

I'm gonna take a guess here.

But I think the adjustment importance is for the newer 200 4R overdrive transmission. Yours should be fine just hooked back up to the factory brackets and carb.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby stage169 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:54 am

Check these out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby chevyart » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:58 pm

brian is there something to know about adjusting these trannies. my good buddy is going to USE one out of a late monty caRLO. IT WILL BED BUILT UP FOR STRENGTH AND WILL HAVE A GOOD FLOOR SHIFTER. ARE THERE THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN SETTING UP THE SHIFTER. THANKS ART
chevyart

Postby stage169 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Art I can't tell you, I just don't have the experience with trans to know. I'm kind of like Marco and don't think the shifter matters much and I didn't know the factory started connecting the shifter cable with the trans and shifter in neutral. At least something to reference.

The detent control cable might be a little more important but if you are using the stock cable the adjustment sounds like it is simple enough. PeerStalkHawk is the only guy on here I've read going into the TH200 some.

Even the TH200 metric can be rebuilt much better to become a very good and stronger trans. than the factory made it that's for sure. It has a few advantages such as it's lighter weight and lower 1st and 2nd gear ratios(2.74,1.57). I use one rebuilt for my'77 Skyhawk with Raybestos blue racing parts and a Trans-go shift improver kit. etc. in it and it works great actually and much better, more positive, and faster shifting than the stock form was. The throttle valve cable settings are also critical in helping those live a long time and shift right. Some v8 H-bodies used the TH200 metric.

Brian
stage169

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:46 pm

76 Monza Man, It has been a long time since I have set-up a "kick down cable" but here goes There is a large "connector" we'll call it at the throttle cable connection to the carb, on it, it has a curved rectangular window (or 2?) that you will pop out then floor the car (better if someone uses the pedal for you, rather than doing it by hand) when at WOT you snap the thingy ( [Snap Lock] gotta love these highly technical names :lol: ) back in and that sets your kick down, I have never heard of these being as critical as the TV cable on the 2004R/700R4. The Throttle Valve controls line pressure to reduce band and clutch pressures at light load to increase fuel economy by reduced drag, that is the reason they kill your tranny if set-up incorrectly No Pressure means no holding power/slip if you step on it even a little as no pull on that one means NO PRESSURE on the clutches. I don't know if yours is that way, but I have owned a few and only blew one up (Lots of abuse and higher mileage) Harry
Brians Diagram P.jpg
directions in lower right corner
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76monzaman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:08 am

Thank you for the suggestions ! Pics helped alot.
I now have somewhat of a ideal as to what Im trying to get adjusted.
76monzaman

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech