th 350

Moderator: Moderators

th 350

Postby crawfw » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:31 pm

wondering if I could get some feedback on installing an auto trans in the h body.( 79 sunbird coupe)
1- Is it possible to install the trans while the motor is already in the car?
2- other than the normal auto swap parts (h body tail housing/shift linkage/shifter/kick down cable/radiator for line hookup/ flex plate), is there any thing else I will need to do a swap from man to auto?
cross member the same?
speedometer gear interchangeable?
3- Will all the bell housing bolts be accessible for tightening?

Thanks
Bill
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: th 350

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Bill, I do not have any experience with a automatic in a H body but I don't see why it would be any different than installing a bellhousing and manual trans. I am pretty sure you should be able to do it with the engine installed.
Last edited by cjbiagi on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Bill,

Yes, you can install it with the engine in the car. Either leave the bolt above the LH locating dowel out (5 bolts will work just fine), or install it in the trans before lining up the trans to the engine. It's a tight fit with it installed. You'll probably have to use a wrench to tighten the upper bolts as there isn't room for a socket and extension there.

Depending on what engine was in before will determine if the crossmember will fit. It may be as simple as moving it to the rearward set of boltholes. You may need a specific torque arm, as well as the correct tailshaft housing and brackets. Or fab up your own to attach to the crossmember.

The speedo gear will physically fit, but you may need a different one to calibrate it.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby crawfw » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks all for the info.
And now I have another question about hurst 4 spd shifters.
Does anyone know if the two main mounting bolts on the body of the shifters are all the same provided they are for sag or muncie?
I'm thinking about buying the 373-8618 install kit and use a 391-8014 shifter.
This setup looks like it should work on the hbody.
The install kit looks almost identical as far as the mounting bracket as the 373-8619 which is no longer available.
The shifter hast the offset to toward the passenger side which is needed to hit the tunnel.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:17 pm

I am pretty sure the bolts would be the same. The basic Hurst shifter seems pretty much the same except for some offsets to fit the chassis. Of course the mounting kit and rods need to match the trans..... There are also different bolt on sticks that can help with fit and shorten the throw. I installed a short stick on mine which really shortens the throw compared to the big long one that was originally with the kit. It also has a slight offset to help clear the dash.fcourse you lose a little bit of leverage with a shorter stick but it's not really a issue. I believe this is the shortest stick Hurst makes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby jcrider » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I have had a lot of Hurst shifters over the years and the bolt pattern has been the same one all of them, so I'm gonna assume that they all are
jcrider

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech