1975 Vega GT

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1975 Vega GT

Postby sportster96blk » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:12 pm

my don hardy headers are bent different from what you show in your pic my number one tube runs really close to tubes three and five I'm thinking you need to bend that tube up closer to three.my one tube measures one inch from three and one and a half inches from five. i would have them bolted to a block out side of car so bending dont change where the flange ends up its also easier. ill post pics later of my header bolted to a donor block. right know ive got to have my nose broke....george
sportster96blk

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:04 pm

sportster96blk wrote:my don hardy headers are bent different from what you show in your pic my number one tube runs really close to tubes three and five I'm thinking you need to bend that tube up closer to three.my one tube measures one inch from three and one and a half inches from five. i would have them bolted to a block out side of car so bending dont change where the flange ends up its also easier. ill post pics later of my header bolted to a donor block. right know ive got to have my nose broke....george

I'll look into that, right now my headers are fitting after much tweaking but not by much. Hope everything goes well with the nose.

Thanks
James
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BadBowtie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm

So the header situation is being solved by customizing the tube for extra clearence. Been working on installing some fat-mat in the car but I need the proper roller, so I've been setting up an alternator. Using Corvette short waterpump brackets that we happen to have laying around :mrgreen: .Going to have to get a belt/disassemble and repaint everything. Should be installing my spohn control arms and test fitting a started soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby meangreen73vega » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Looks killer! I can't wait till I get mine together...if it gets together...lol
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby BadBowtie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:17 pm

meangreen73vega wrote:Looks killer! I can't wait till I get mine together...if it gets together...lol

Same here :mrgreen: haha!
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 72vega5.3 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Looking good man :th:
72vega5.3

Postby BadBowtie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Had some free time today and installed my rear control arms. As for the headers I sent an email to don hardy, no response yet. Going to give it a few weeks before i send a second.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby meangreen73vega » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Nice, very very nice! :th:

meangreen73vega

Postby BadBowtie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 pm

I thought i was moving forward tonight but its really just another few steps back :bang: I got the motor set in yesterday night so tonight i bolted it in, including the transmission. My driver side header tube clears perfectly now... I was hoping that in moving the motor over some more would make everything work out on the passenger side, however it does not... the #2 tube is hitting the inner fender and I cant even get the bolts on. Gonna check the transmission to make sure its sitting right, maybe im offset and thats messing things up...

But the cherry on the cake is noticing a crack in my firewall on the drivers side of the bellhousing... probally about 1/2" to 1" long :bang: . Going to have to pull the engine again and get that welded up before it gets more serious, were not even sure how it happened (possibly from clearanceing the tunnel using the BFH)

On a side note i installed some fat-mat over the past few weeks, looks good, hope it works
:think: ...so much for an easy night
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby NVEGAR8D » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:30 am

Hi Bad,
i hope you have a good solid lower bracket for that alternator, because when i saw it ,it reminded me of the install done for my 72 many years ago. the setup was so weak that the unit shook like hell. i ended up making a new lower bracket from3/4key stock to stiffen thigs up to not loose the belt.after going back to your pic , it looks like i was wrong. never mind.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby meangreen73vega » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the header dilemma continuing...I've ordered a set of Bob's mounts to see if that will fix my problems. I heard from Fernando the other day and his only two suggestions were to send them back or put them in loose and get all the bolts started and tighten them one at a time checking for clearance as I went...idk :bang:
I looked at those mags that are listed in that other thread and read that the pass side support between the body and inner fender needs to be cut out...

meangreen73vega

Postby BadBowtie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:32 pm

meangreen73vega wrote:Looks great! Sorry to hear about the header dilemma continuing...I've ordered a set of Bob's mounts to see if that will fix my problems. I heard from Fernando the other day and his only two suggestions were to send them back or put them in loose and get all the bolts started and tighten them one at a time checking for clearance as I went...idk :bang:
I looked at those mags that are listed in that other thread and read that the pass side support between the body and inner fender needs to be cut out...

I was able to beat mine in with a hammer... :lol: However my #2 header is hitting the inner fender ridge, right above where the table mounts. (Good Articles tho! saved a bunch)
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BadBowtie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 am

Small update I had a few minutes last night and I got myself thinking that the engine may be sitting crooked, went into the garage and sure enough it is. Hopefully that will get sorted by the weekend.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 73astregt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 am

sorry to get off the topic of your engine woes but i was looking at your pics of the sphon control arms installed on your car. i was just reading the ebay ads for the sphon arms and the umi versions as well and they both say that the poly bushed ends should be mounted to the body to quiet road noise not the axle as you have yours. trust me you will want the bushed ends on the body side to quiet the noise. i have a set of arms from e bay that heims on both ends and it sounds like the rear is falling out of the car when you hit a small bump in the road. maybe you have allready rectified this or thier instructions have changed but ive been looking at these pics since you posted them and its been bugging the crap out of me lol! look up thier ads on ebay and see for yourself. just a friendly heads up to try saving you grief down the road good luck and get that sucker done beforwe summer so you can drive it to the monzaque!
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby BadBowtie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 am

73astregt wrote:sorry to get off the topic of your engine woes but i was looking at your pics of the sphon control arms installed on your car. i was just reading the ebay ads for the sphon arms and the umi versions as well and they both say that the poly bushed ends should be mounted to the body to quiet road noise not the axle as you have yours. trust me you will want the bushed ends on the body side to quiet the noise. i have a set of arms from e bay that heims on both ends and it sounds like the rear is falling out of the car when you hit a small bump in the road. maybe you have allready rectified this or thier instructions have changed but ive been looking at these pics since you posted them and its been bugging the crap out of me lol! look up thier ads on ebay and see for yourself. just a friendly heads up to try saving you grief down the road good luck and get that sucker done beforwe summer so you can drive it to the monzaque!

Thanks for the input, I had a pretty in depth conversation with chevyart/re-read the thread about how they should be mounted (also contacted spohn). Spohn said to mount it on the urethane side on the body side like you mentioned, but the argument would apply both ways to quiet the ride (isolate the read end from the body) and many other companies say the opposite (and some the same). Global west in california practically invented all the modern rear suspension parts and they did alot of research and development over the years and disagree on how it should be mounted (should be mounted urethane on the axle side). My only comment was that if i mounted them the way spohn suggested when you adjust the length of a lower control arm you actually move the sway bar closer or further to the differential to which there isnt much room already (next to global west that was my deciding factor).
I definitely appreciate the friendly advise :mrgreen: and i plan on driving the car around april/may (hopefully :bang: ) and i will defiently try and make it to monzaque if i get it off :mrgreen:
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals