'72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: '72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Postby gotmud7 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 am

What happened to the rear swaybar? Looks like the same one I have. PIA to install, I wasn't 100% sure which way it was supposed to go on since it didn't really fit perfect either way.
Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:21 pm

What is the width of the housing?
It looks close to stock as the space between the housing flange and the shock/lower control arm bracket is about what would be on a stock width rear.

It sounds like you used a 4wd rear disc rear. I am not sure if the actual housing is wider than the 2wd version but he disc certainly is and the actual axles are longer to accommodate the disc. The the caliper is also positioned up higher and the bearing is wider.

I believe you can use just the backing plate from a 2wd blazer to reposition your calipers. everything else should bolt on from the 4wd brakes. to me this would seem to be the simplest solution if it gives you the clearance you need.
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9730 ... conversion

I know there are spring perch adapters that allow a coil over spring to be used in place of a wider spring. I would look in to that before using coil overs and transferring the vehicle weight to the shock mounts.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37550&start=30

Would swapping the caliper brackets side to side help with clearance ( placing the caliper toward front of axle instead of towards back.

4wd drums would likely work too but I don't think you want to hear that

I looked at your photobucket account and it looks like you could pull the tires in further. You could get the 2wd rear discs which position the calipers differently behind or in front of the axle and are shorter. I believe you would have to shorten your axles and change to the narrower axle bearings ( I might be wrong about this).
http://dave.h-body.org/Build%20a%20Bett ... %20End.htm
monzaaddict

Postby b_pappy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Correct, the rear came out of a S-10 ZR2, which is 2" wider (per side) than stock, and uses the larger bearings like you said. We took 3.75" off each side, but I forget what total width wound up at. It's written down in our notes. I'm real happy with the rear end shop did, it just fit in perfect.
Anyhow, I had a few choices with the brakes, including going with Wilwood calipers instead. We flipped and turned, and rotated, this fits best. The rear end is pretty well centered, with just over 1/2" clearance going onboard, so no narrower.
We're going ahead with the coilovers, and we will fab some extra support structure in the shock mount area.
The rear bar was an Addco. I didn't care for the way it mounted either, and you're right, it was hard to tell what was correct. Right now it's back in the box. I may just run a stock rear bar instead.
No hurry on this, I just want it right, or at least the way I think it should be done.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 pm

the only thing I don' t like about coil overs on the back is the shock mounts aren't designed to support weight - you said you are adding bracing. The angle bothers me. you are loading the lower brackets in the horizontal plane. It will probably work just not optimal. Another simple fix would be to get shorter 2wd rotors and then space the backing plate out about 9/10 of an inch to align the caliper ( more clearance for springs and between caliper and wheel well arch - relatively cheap too).
monzaaddict

Postby b_pappy » Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Making some progress, it has coilovers and disc brakes on all corners, and these are the wheels I'll restore and use. Still doing the power steering conversion (need the shaft is anyone has one), then we'll do the sub frame connectors, Camaro fuel tank, and custom traction bars.

b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 pm

The car is really starting to take shape. It made it over to the fab shop. Right now it is sitting next to Axl Rose's '55 Chevy. Anyhow, these guys have great skills and are down to earth.
They are putting in the Chris Alston sub frame connectors, the first gen gas tank conversion, and reworking the engine and trans mounts to work.
Here's a few pics my mechanic took. He's a better mechanic than photographer though.
under the cargo panel, top of gas tank area:
where the gas tank will mount:
Sub frame connectors:
Still a long ways to go. Thanks to everyone here for their help with parts, and tech ideas.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby zzip » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:31 am

Nice work already b_pappy .

Succes and many pics ! :th:

Peter from Antwerp
1988 Monza L4 2.5L
1989 Monza Spyder L4 2.5L
1990 Monza Spyder V6 3.2L
1991 Monza Spyder V6 3.8L
2013 Monza V6 3.8L
2014 Starfire V6 3.8L
zzip

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby b_pappy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

A little more progress, and hopefully some better pictures. It should be back from the fab shop this week.
Motor and trans mounts are done, sub frame connectors in, gas tank area almost complete. Still need to work rear upper and lower coilover mounts, steering shaft, and a few other small things. It will go back for the headers and exhaust once the new motor is installed.

b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Back from the fab shop. They did a great job modifying the gas tank area, plus fixing the R/S motor mount, was way off. They adapted the manual steering shaft to the power steering box (temp for now, till we fit the headers), reinforced the rear coilover mounts, upper and lower, finished the sub frame connectors and nerfed the front bumper, and lots of other things from my long list. I'm not quite sure how I'll finish the cargo area under the rear deck. thinking Zolotone paint or something.We sent it to the body shop and they sealed all the seams and undercoated it. Since it's a street car that's how I wanted it done under there. I'm happy with the work and progress.
Bruce
The interior seams still need to be sealed, and primed. All exterior seams and metal were sealed, primed with etching primer, painted and undercoated. Shouldn't rust now.
b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:07 am

Just an update, with no progress to report. Whoever said "building a Vega is cheap" never built a Vega. So my project sits and waits for an infusion of funding. I have my '65 El Camino and a Cadillac XLR for sale. Hopefully something moves soon. The problem is I love both those cars too. Oh well.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:46 pm

Well the project is coming a slower than I would like, but still making progress. GM stopped selling their ZZ383 engines. That kind of left me pondering which way to go. Decided on going with a custom built 383; 4 bolt main, Comp roller cam, forged bottom end, Skip White heads. A little more than the crate motor, but a better engine. Also got word the 700R4 trans is done. Hopefully I'll be posting some pictures of these going in the car soon!
Still metric crap tons of work to do though.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby TOM71VEGA » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:25 pm

Looking great
What model number are those front coil overs.
TOM71VEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby b_pappy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks! I don't have the P/N right in front of me. They are Viking, for 1st gen Camaro, the springs are a 350 lb rate. Personally I think it will too stiff, but it's what they recommended, and I won't worry till we get the drivetrain in. The A arms are AJE Racing.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby TOM71VEGA » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:17 am

Thanks
Looks great.
TOM71VEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:25 am

b_pappy wrote:Thanks! I don't have the P/N right in front of me. They are Viking, for 1st gen Camaro, the springs are a 350 lb rate. Personally I think it will too stiff, but it's what they recommended, and I won't worry till we get the drivetrain in. The A arms are AJE Racing.
Bruce

I went with 450lb springs and so far I am pretty happy with the way it feels, so I doubt 350lb will be too stiff.
avewhtboy

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals