Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Postby monzacoupe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:26 pm

I've got the car insured for only a few more days then on to body work! I saw Clyde's ramps on one of his recent posts and decided to build a set. Got them mostly done, just a few tweaks to keep things from moving around while driving up the ramp(one wheel almost suspended in mid-air was pretty exciting!).
Cost: about $10 in deck screws and some sweat equity pulling apart some free wooden pallets, as well as dumpster diving at some housing projects nearby.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:38 pm

monzacoupe wrote:I've got the car insured for only a few more days then on to body work! I saw Clyde's ramps on one of his recent posts and decided to build a set. Got them mostly done, just a few tweaks to keep things from moving around while driving up the ramp(one wheel almost suspended in mid-air was pretty exciting!).
Cost: about $10 in deck screws and some sweat equity pulling apart some free wooden pallets, as well as dumpster diving at some housing projects nearby.

Rick

Did you go with a Wet Suit or Dry? :lol: :haha: lmao :hob: I don't usually do the dumpsters for lumber, but a good scrap steel bin, and you had better not come between me and the metallic nuggets! :D Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:42 pm

I love the new platforms! Lot's of room to breathe down there! I had a chance to use them yesterday replacing a blown driver's side exhaust gasket...not as much fun as you'd think with the brake booster and headers still in place! I'm not sure why it would have blown in the first place but I got the new gasket installed along with some hi-temp silicon for good measure. That bottom bolt closest to the firewall was a bugger!

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Started the body teardown with the driver's door. Glass is out, not sure how I did it but it's out! Trim is off, door handle is next, got some replacement ones to put on. I'll be taking the doors off to take to a body shop for a repair, I've never welded and won't be starting with this tricky corner to fix. The fun has just started!!

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Nice! How are the bottoms? I've just started talking to a guy that makes restoration parts for Mavericks and Comets (floor pans, fender and quarter patches, etc). He seems interested in making Monza parts. Fingers crossed, he can help the community out!
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:33 am

The bottoms have some holes in them maybe 1.5" X 3" not terrible. Definitely repairable.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:36 am

I found another build sheet for my car! Taped to the back of my passenger door panel. It's in EXCELLENT condition. top left corner says 82-23415 10-17, does this mean my car's birthday is Oct.17, 1980?
monzacoupe

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:52 am

Score! :th:

Odd that it was in the passenger door. That should be the date the car was built, more or less. Look at your trim tag and it should have a 10C which would be the third week of October. I know they changed from using "80" for the year to "A" at some point for the 1980 cars. If the trim tag has "80" then it is likely 10/17/79 vs 10/17/80. If it is has the "A" it may be 10/17/80.

Here is the trim tag and build sheet from my 1980 Sunbird.
1980 trim tag.jpg
1980 build sht.png

I also know that the original owners bought my car in March of 1980 so I know it was not built in September 1980.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:57 am

Your project is coming along nicely, I am glad you took the tip from my car ramps. You went about it a little different but the end result is the same. For those who don't remember here's mine again. Mine are made from 2 x 10's, they work great although they are heavy. You don't want to move them too far.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Clyde You're right about not wanting to move them very often!

My car was built Oct.17,1980 according to the trim tag.
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:34 pm

I got the passenger door off last night with a little swearing along with a lot of hammering and WD-40, there were no bushing around the hinge pins. Normal or not? I can't see how there would be any room for bushings in the hinge.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:37 pm

No, that is not normal. There are bushings that fit into the door hinge and the pins slide into them. I don't know why you are not seeing that, that is the way they are. If needed, I have NOS hinge pins and bushings available.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:43 am

Ok, I've found the bushings! Any problems re-using the pins and bushings? Or is it best to buy some new ones from Clyde? Clyde stay out of this...conflict of interest!

Rick

p.s. Clyde, just kidding! You're advice ALWAYS appreciated
monzacoupe

Postby 283vega » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:01 am

replace them they are cheap and you've done the hard part!
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:29 pm

283vega wrote:replace them they are cheap and you've done the hard part!

Rick I agree, those doors are HEAVY! And I can't add anything else, Brian summed the situation up nicely above. :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals