Vha Vha Vega..

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vha Vha Vega..

Postby bigair49 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Well I don't see myself making a bunch and selling them but I do think I will draw up some templates and post em up here for any one that wants to make their own,and call it my little contribution to the site. If there is enough interest in them?
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:55 am

I's bet that there is Jess. I keep thinking I'll make my own but I haven't yet, and crawling under the car for templates is one reason, Oh and the cost of steel, and then there is the fact that I am getting lazy lately. I think I would P.M. them to a Moderator or Administrator for posting in "Best Of" or at least a "Sticky" that would make that easier to find. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bigair49 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:55 pm

The test fit went pretty smooth and the rear fit great. I measured all the control points and they all checked out so I can go ahead and weld every thing up. I test fit a few different wheels that I have and I like the way the 7 X 14 reverse offset with 215- 60- 14 works out nice But I think I can squeeze in an 8 x 14 reverse offset with 225-60-14 and would be perfect for my set up.

The templates I made worked out good I plan on making a PDF they will print out to scale for any one who needs them. so here are a few pics.

I tried a 7X14 with a 215 60 14 tire and it sits too close to the inner wheel well and is tucked in too much for my likes.Hopefully the will work on the front.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby bigair49 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Now that I have my ball joint adapters I can get a start on the front S10 conversion.
I also cut the driveshaft and removed the yoke from an Astro Van along with the pinion yoke. I hope to get some proper measurements for the drive shaft and get it welded up this week.Then on to brakes.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby b_pappy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Nice work, and I like the adjustable rear end idea.
Thanks.
b_pappy

Postby bigair49 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Hey thanks for the comments!
Well I've gotten a pile of things done in the last few weeks nothing really ground braking but mile stones for me.
Got all the stock vega parts off the car. cleaned and prepped for the new S10 parts. Cleaned and painted all the new parts. ran some new brake lines ,flex hoses etc. So now it's time to start putting her back together.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby bigair49 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 am

I spent some quality time with the Vega over the last few weeks and got the S10 conversion done. I used a 76 Elcamino master and it bolted right up and used the stock push rod, the brakes work great. I also used 76 nova flex hoses up front but needed to file a grove to seat them into the bracket on the car. next I used a 80 Camaro rear flex hose and again it worked with the stock bracket on the car. new 1997 S10 brakes front and rear. all the fittings bolted right up. I used 82 Camaro rear coil springs (variable rate) stock front coils and still the 4 banger.. and finally used 215-60 r14 front and for now till I get new rear wheels and tires I have 235-60 r14 rear. I'm looking at 245-60 r14. So far I have not cut drilled or bent any of the original car except the drive shaft that needed to be shorten witch I did myself and it turned out Great .

Thanks for checking out my project stay tuned for more

The junk yard 2003 front brakes
all cleaned up and painted Cast grey
Bench bleeding in the car
I got to take her out for a shake down run after a quick tie rod adjustment and so far so good I am a happy camper!
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Looking good so you going with the Cragar 5 spokes at all four corners or?
avewhtboy

Postby bigair49 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Ya cragars all around I love how they look on a vega!!
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby bigair49 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Alright so I've been driving the vega as a daily driver for awhile now and its great. but every now and again the engine will surge, its pretty random when it happens but it feels like its losing fuel. If i let off on the gas it will stay running but any input on the throttle and it seems like it will die. seems like it occurs when i am cruising at 35 40 mph. if i pull over and wait a bit or maybe shut it off it will run like a top again. this might not happen again for a few days or it might happen a few times a day,could get to the point where it wont stay running and doesn't want to start. Then like magic its fine again. any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby bigair49 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Oh i forgot its a stock 2.3
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:21 pm

bigair49 wrote:Alright so I've been driving the vega as a daily driver for awhile now and its great. but every now and again the engine will surge, its pretty random when it happens but it feels like its losing fuel. If i let off on the gas it will stay running but any input on the throttle and it seems like it will die. seems like it occurs when i am cruising at 35 40 mph. if i pull over and wait a bit or maybe shut it off it will run like a top again. this might not happen again for a few days or it might happen a few times a day,could get to the point where it wont stay running and doesn't want to start. Then like magic its fine again. any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The gasoline we have now is crap. Its boiling point is really low. The best way to combat this is to use and electric pump. Pressure raises the boiling point I believe.

Its probably vapor lock and you can try lots of things but the only thing that solved the problem for me was adding an electric pump to the mechanical pump.

I am talking about SBC but fuel boiling is a problem for every carbureted car
avewhtboy

Postby bigair49 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Ok thanks,
The 75 has an electric fuel pump in the tank and seems to be working fine. Vapor lock could be the culprit but it also happens when cold and just a mile or so down the road. I bypassed the oil pressure switch and wired the pump straight to the battery and it still surged.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Jess, good to see you here! I think you should return the wiring for the pump to stock for safety's sake. And for somethings to check [well two things with the same result], check to see if your gas cap is properly vented, and that your charcoal canister hasn't some mysterious problem. I am thinking you are possibly experiencing an intermittent tank vacuum condition, which will lower the boiling point and the fuel pressure with the fuel volume. And as a secondary check EGR and PCV each could be causing a lean condition and your surge. Just a few things I have ran into over the years that actually came to my mind. Hope you find the problem and an easy fix! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bigair49 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey Thanks Harry!
Good advice, I only powered up the blue wire to feed the pump a constant 12V to eliminate the the oil pressure switch from the equation. Its all back to normal now! I'll check out the others in the morning.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals