1976 Pontiac Sunbird TC

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1976 Pontiac Sunbird TC

Postby Kenova » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:09 am

Anti-seize! I put that $%!# on everything! :lol:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:23 am

Kenova wrote:Anti-seize! I put that $%!# on everything! :lol:

Ken

Amen! I was thinking that as I beat the damn thing out. Alum on Alum. Ugh...
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Ken and Kevin that brings me to this line: "remember... not everything is good on TOAST!" from our "H-Buddy" Ron memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1935 With little [very little] imagination you can figure out where that line came from! :beer: :lol: lmao :haha: :sick: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 am

Off life support and ready to hit the road to Carlisle, PA!

revived.jpg

Started having issues with the car last year on the way home from the Salem, OH H-Body show and mostly parked it while I drove the silver 1980 coupe. Finally seems to be fixed! I'll take it on a longer test drive today to confirm it is finally better. Heading out to Carlisle, PA (about a 6-hour drive) on Friday with the car. Ken Mahoy is driving my silver car and we're meeting up with Ron Lee in his Mirage and Michael Allen in his Mirage. Going to have an H-Body convoy to the show! Looking forward to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 pm

RedFiveKBS wrote:Off life support and ready to hit the road to Carlisle, PA!

Finally seems to be fixed! ....... Heading out to Carlisle, PA (about a 6-hour drive) on Friday with the car. Ken Mahoy is driving my silver car and we're meeting up with Ron Lee in his Mirage and Michael Allen in his Mirage. Going to have an H-Body convoy to the show! Looking forward to it.
To which I Say: SWEEEEEET!!!!! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 am

Test drive successful! Drove the Sunbird about 85 miles round trip Thursday to check out everything. Ran great with no issues.

pole position.jpg

Ken Mahoy and Michael Allen should be at my place around noon. Then we head off toward Carlisle, PA picking up Ron Lee with his Mirage along the way. Weather is looking a bit wet, unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm

What a day. Convoy got a little later start than we wanted but we made it to Carlisle. It rained almost the entire drive down; about 370 miles. At one point it was so heavy I could hardly see more than a couple car lengths. The two Sunbirds ran great and had no issues. Ken Mahoy drove the silver 1980 Sunbird and let me know it really needs new tires. It didn't like all the rain and was a little bit of a handful at times. Put that on the list.

Ron Lee and Michael Allen drove their Monza Mirages from Ohio to the show in the convoy as well. It was a long drive and the weather sucked but it was an adventure. The weather for tomorrow is looking better.

convoy1.jpg

Oh, and the 1976 Sunbird (red one) rolled 80,000 miles. She really ran great. So happy to finally have the engine issues solved.

80k.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Kevin Mobile Photography is frowned upon you know, it could have ruined that "Awesome pic' above! Especially with Ken on "Slicks". That is a nice looking neighbourhood right there! :th: That is more miles than any of mine ever managed to get and yours looks like it is in better actual condition than any of mine turned out to be! Harry P.S. no eating in those cars the mayo/ketchup stains are B :censored: :cuss: h [note the background in that pic']
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Kevin Mobile Photography is frowned upon you know, it could have ruined that "Awesome pic' above! Especially with Ken on "Slicks". That is a nice looking neighbourhood right there! :th: That is more miles than any of mine ever managed to get and yours looks like it is in better actual condition than any of mine turned out to be! Harry P.S. no eating in those cars the mayo/ketchup stains are B :censored: :cuss: h [note the background in that pic']

Harry, it was a great weekend! I am very pleased that the Sunbirds ran excellent all the way there and back. It was just over 800 miles round trip.

I am very happy that Ken Mahoy and his son, Nathaniel, had a great bonding experience on the trip. Nathaniel has been bitten by the H-Body bug and is talking about building a Spyder with his dad. :D

We had an excellent turnout at the show. Over 36 H-bodies were in attendance!

carlisle2.jpg

Great ride home from Carlisle as the weather was absolutely perfect. Nathaniel took a lot of video of the cars rolling home and Ken will be editing a video together with them. Can't wait to see it.

birds.jpg
ron lee.jpg

We made a couple stops on the way home. First was at Wright Buick and GMC in Wexford, PA. This was the dealership that initially took delivery of my silver 1980 coupe. It was Wright Pontiac back in 1980.

wright.jpg

Since we were in the area, we stopped by Lordstown too. The silver car was, of course, built here but the 1976 red car was built in Southgate, CA.

lordstown.jpg

We also stopped by Summit Racing since they were on the route home, more-or-less. I figured Nate wouldn't get back over this way and he needed to see the Speed Parts Mecca of Ohio.

I can't wait to get together with this group of people again real soon.
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Well it sounds like a great time was had by all! Kevin Congratulations on 1600 uneventful miles [2 cars = double miles :th: ]Now it's time for a real road trip!
RedFiveKBS Quipped wrote: but the 1976 red car was built in Southgate, CA.
I can't believe Ron took 450 pic's of his car! :lol: Just bustin' on Ya" Ron! I only perused 5 pages so far but Wow some nice cars there and many I haven't encountered yet! Thanx for sharing Gang I wish I was there! Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Wow. It has been a year and a half since I posted on this journal. Well...I was mostly busy working on the Sunbird Formula so this car got put on the back burner. I decided it was time to move forward on this project.

The original plan for this car was to rebuild my high school car. I still had the original 327 that was in the high school car and I wanted to, essentially, do a period correct restoration on it. I took the 327 into the motor shop in December. This just happened to be the same motor shop that built it back in 1989/90. They performed all the work on the short block and I got it back a couple of weeks ago.

The car needs new brakes and a new fuel pump. Planning to do both of those projects when the weather breaks and then yank the V6 and get this motor installed. The exciting part for me is that it will be almost the exact build as it was in high school:

Same 327 block, crank, and rods. New 40 over pistons
Same Comp Cams grind 280H 480 lift
Same heads
Same intake
Same carburetor
Replacement Hooker 2135's (original set were sold with the car)
New distributor but I bought a new Accel Super Coil for the vintage feel.

Hope to have it together and running by the end of March or early April. I am planning to run it on Hot Rod Power Tour this year!! :th:
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:37 pm

I have FINALLY started the swap process!

Old 231V6 is out. Rebuilt 327 is ready.
RedFiveKBS

Postby Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes » Fri May 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Did you end up getting the 327 in this bird? It looks great!
1979 Pontiac Sunbird (currently undergoing restoration) with the old duke and a 4 speed
Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes

Previous

Return to Project Journals