Motion clone

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Motion clone

Postby Wizeguyrc » Fri May 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Since I’ve had no luck finding an original set of no-hop brackets, I’m going to attempt to make a set that will look identical to the originals. Or at least to the casual observer.
I used the dimensions elsewhere on this site and made a cad drawing as close as I could. The plate material is 1/2” thick to provide the strength and have a meaty cast iron look. Currently waiting on exhaust parts and working on some other small items, but I’ll post progress on these when I get going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun May 17, 2020 6:06 pm

After sitting in the car and fooling with the Ramrod shifter, I decided to install a normal H pattern unit. Luckily I had a couple of extra Hurst pieces and everything was a straight forward swap. The shift rods worked without any modifications, so this was a big plus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm

I couldn’t resist and went with the Thrush mufflers I had squirreled away.
Wizeguyrc

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 pm

I put Hush Thrush’s on my square body. A little quieter than what I took off but once I age them a bit they should be just about right.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 pm

That’s what I’ve always liked about the older Hush Thrush mufflers behind a big block, very low, sweet sound. Even when you open it up they’re not overly loud.
The new ones may be the same way, but I’ve never known anyone that uses them. Everyone around my area are on the Flowmaster band wagon.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Fri May 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Got the other side done as well as the rear hangers.
Before anyone points out the right side is muffler upside down, Thrush didn’t offer a left and right. I remember back in the 80’s someone gave my brother a hard time about it and he went to Autozone and bought a set of the round Thrush mufflers so it would look right. Funniest thing about it is he didn’t know the paint would burn off in a short amount of time. :lol: :lol:
Wizeguyrc

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Fri May 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Oddly the ones I put on my square body last year were not painted but they have thrush if I recall stamped in the body of the muffler and they look shorter than yours unless it’s just the angle. If memory serves me right my body of the muffler is only about 13”-15”. My square body pulls trailers so it WOT on every hill so I didn’t want to have to wear ear plugs on the highway drives so I think the hush thrushes will be perfect once I burn them in a bit. My son says it’s quieter than the old mufflers....that would be true because they had huge holes in them.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Lol
The original Thrush mufflers were painted and the only stamping in them sometimes were the part numbers.
Not sure what the exact differences are, but the new ones don’t sound the same as the old ones. Both sound great, but there is something different. I’m sure there’s something different in the baffling or packing material.
The body on these are 16” long.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Smiley » Mon May 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Looks good, I always liked the Ramrod shifters but I ended up using a super shifter mount and rods with an offset stick body.
Are you going to use stock upper control arms with those no-hops ?

72B1852B-D65D-4ABD-B495-163C140416D2.jpeg

CE1729E7-D42A-47FD-B83F-370192646CAF.jpeg
Smiley

Postby chevyart » Mon May 25, 2020 2:26 pm

tracy difference in sound from the old days and today may be in the difference in the engines. compression, cams, diameter of pipes, it all makes a difference, nice work in that baby art.
chevyart

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue May 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks.
I guess I’ll have to use adjustable bars for the uppers. With the overdrive unit the driveshaft is only going to be around 36” long, so getting the pinion angle spot on is going to be critical. My 64 Chevelle has an eccentric bolt on the upper control arm, housing side.....same design as the H-body front, lower control arms. I’m thinking about machining a larger diameter eccentric washer to give a wide range of movement, and going that route. All that will be required for the no-hop brackets will be the tabs that let the washer move the bolt when adjusting. That would allow the stock, boxed uppers to be retained.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 am

I found an eccentric bolt kit that should fit the bill. If there isn’t enough travel in the washer as it comes, I’ll just weld a larger diameter washer to the backside of the kit washers. Hopefully this will give me enough range of travel to dial in the pinion angle. If not, Art gave me a good idea on using the original upper control arm by grafting in rod end provision.
But if all else fails, I’ll build upper four link bars.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Smiley » Thu May 28, 2020 2:33 am

With the no-hops installed the upper control arms can be straight, with rod ends the no-hops can be flat on the sides instead of offset to take the wider stock control arms.
Smiley

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu May 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Correct.
The bend in the upper control arms is there to clear the axle tube when the rear end is moving through its upward travel, when utilizing the factory housing bracket. While the upper four link bar is in extension tension under load, there isn’t much of a chance in straightening out the bend. However, a straight bar...top or bottom... is going to be the strongest as it is only being compressed or extended under load. But sometimes in original design automobiles, compromises had to be made.
I got one of the no-hop brackets put together, and as of right now it’s looking like my eccentric bolt idea is going to work.
I’ll post pictures after I make them look like one cast piece.
Thanks for the input from everyone. It’s very appreciated.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu May 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Well I said I wasn’t going to post pictures until one was completely done, but it’s going so well I couldn’t resist. Lol
Still have to finish the bottom plate and do more finish grinding to give it more of a cast look. The extension on the bottom with the slot gets cut off. It’s just a piece I had that worked for boxing the backside.
Also, the small notches on the inside of the brackets are to clear the sides of the factory control arms. I found when the housing is going through it’s travel, the broken edges of the control arms were contacting.
Wizeguyrc

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals