T50 5 speed transmission disassembly

Moderator: Moderators

T50 5 speed transmission disassembly

Postby Dr John » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:08 pm

I need to re- seal the case. Is there any thing I should know before I start pulling it apart. I can't find a manual or video on this transmission. Any leads on a manual would be appreciated. Thanks
Dr John

Re: T50 5 speed transmission disassembly

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:12 am

I think I may have a manual at home, came from the CVOA. Let me look.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:32 pm

Chuck, I don't think I have a manual but isn't the T50 full of needle bearings that tend to fall apart when disassembling?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:26 pm

I don't know, Dick, I've not had one apart.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Dr John,

Yes, I have a copy at home. I scanned it into a .PDF file I could email to you.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Dr John » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:24 pm

Thanks Chuck,
I sent a PM with my email address. Thanks again.
Dr John

Postby mikebrow74 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 am

The T-50 is not supported by anyone. No gears, no syncros, no bearing kits. I have collected 4 of these to play with. I purchased a new Spyder in 1978 with a V6 and 5-speed. My wife burned out the clutch at 15,000 miles which I replaced with a HD unit from Kenne Bell at the time. Very strong clutch and I ended up launching the input shaft and counter cluster at the drag strip. I replaced those components back in 1980. The factory manual does have a chapter on the T-50. Not great but adequate. Just keep track of what you take out and where it came from. Take lots of photos.

There are no gaskets on the case, only sealer. I recommend a sealer designed for aluminum motorcycle cases. The only problem I ran into was reassembling the main shaft with the counter cluster back into the main case. There is a spring loaded stamped anti-rattle gear at the front of the counter cluster that will push the input shaft and cluster apart as you are trying to seat them in the front of the case. After days of trying to get these shafts lined up and back in the case, I just left the anti-rattle gear out. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in noise afterwards.

I don't know how they assembled those at the factory. When I get around to it I plan on disassembling one of the units I have, measuring, identifying, and logging all of the needle bearings and thrust washers. I am also thinking of making a small expanding jig to keep the front of the shafts together by expanding between the shafts aft of the center support bearing. Another idea would be to tie the two assemblies together with a string during assembly. Eventually it would break and fall into the case, but I think it is soft enough not to hurt anything.

If your leaks are at the case seems I think I would consider loosening the case bolts 3/8 of an inch, spreading the case sections, and squeezing in some fresh sealer.

And remember, these transmissions use ATF not gear oil.
mikebrow74

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech