Cosworth Question - Pedals

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Cosworth Question - Pedals

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:49 am

~ Does anyone know if there was a difference in pedal height between the 74 GT vegas and the 75 Cosworths ? To clarify: Are the pedals level with each other when NOT being depressed? or Does the clutch pedal hang lower than the brake pedal? Asking for a friend...lol.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Cosworth Question - Pedals

Postby cammerjeff » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:54 am

Sorry I can't help you with a positive answer. But this is the sort of Question Dick would have answered. We are already missing his knowledge.

As far as I know all years Clutch and braked pedals were installed at the same relative height to each other. But there were some cable pulley and roughing differences in the 76 and later cars. But I do not think it affected the pedal height.

I hope someone else can give you a more positive answer.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 am

Can't speak directly on the Vega but on my 75 Monza the clutch pedal is about a inch or so higher than the brake pedal, sounds opposite of yours? Since the Vega and 75 Monza both use the same pulley style clutch cable setup I would think they are similar. There are rubber bump stops on the pedals, maybe that is some of the difference but they are really separate systems so they could be different heights. If my clutch pedal wasn't as high as it is I would not have enough travel to disengage the clutch.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:43 pm

I have a 75 Cosworth and I installed front vented rotors and the larger caliper from a newer Monza I got from Clyde.

This required changing out the master cylinder which had a longer push rod that attached to the brake pedal and left the brake an inch or so above the clutch pedal..

I could prolly grind the rod down a little to make them even but it's not a problem as far as driving the car.

Al
dindin

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:13 pm

To the best of my memory, if you had manual brakes, both pedals were roughly the same height. I checked both my Cosworth Assembly Manual and the Vega Service Manual I have, and neither specify a pedal height. The clutch pedal has its stop, and the factory Vega master has the pushrod attached to the master, so the brake light switch is adjusted to the height that the pushrod allows.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I see the small rubber pad to stop the pedal retreat. We may have our brake pedal a bit high....all working now good height for both.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Return to General Discussion