71-73 Fiberglass nose conversion OEM grille

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

71-73 Fiberglass nose conversion OEM grille

Postby DarthVega » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Got my conversion nose and a decent OEM grille from a early model Vega, but the grille opening is a little bigger than the grille, any suggestions on filling the gaps would greatly appreciated

Thanks
75 Chevy Vega SS “Darth Vega” 302ci 5.0L
75 Chevy Vega currently for sale
78 Oldsmobile Cutlass
70 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
67 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[youtube][/youtube]Darth Vega
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Re: 71-73 Fiberglass nose conversion OEM grille

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Darth, I suspect you will have to do the same thing I will have to with my FG (Fiber-Glass) nose cone, cut and splice unfortunately. Any attempt to "Fill" the gaps will likely look out of place to those familiar with the stock look. Do you know who made that nose [Brand]? If you decide to go the cut/(re-)splice route, I will try and tutor you the best I can if you want/need it. I have a few strategies I've dreamed up as I am sure the nose cone I purchased will not be plug and play size wise and definitely aesthetically, it is a "Race part" so I need to create openings for the grill and lights etc. There must be a YouTube vid or 2000 as well! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 283vega » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Does that attach to the 74 up fenders? Whats the deal here.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby DarthVega » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:51 pm

283vega wrote:Does that attach to the 74 up fenders? Whats the deal here.

Yeah, it’s for the 74-77 conversion, it’s good quality, just the opening is a little big, wish it were smaller I’d feel better with widening it
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby DarthVega » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Darth, I suspect you will have to do the same thing I will have to with my FG (Fiber-Glass) nose cone, cut and splice unfortunately. Any attempt to "Fill" the gaps will likely look out of place to those familiar with the stock look. Do you know who made that nose [Brand]? If you decide to go the cut/(re-)splice route, I will try and tutor you the best I can if you want/need it. I have a few strategies I've dreamed up as I am sure the nose cone I purchased will not be plug and play size wise and definitely aesthetically, it is a "Race part" so I need to create openings for the grill and lights etc. There must be a YouTube vid or 2000 as well! Harry

Got mine from a guy in Canada, it’s a great replica, and costly by my standard, just reading the words “cut and splice” gives me chills, but I’ve not come up with a better solution, maybe get some thin metal to fit the grille edge that extends to the nose openings edge leaving a half inch space? I honestly don’t know
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 pm

D-V I am surprised Rob actually delivered and that it was that close! He isn't known for speedy delivery or High Quality. Keep us in the loop, we will all try and help best we can. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion