updated fuel pump???

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

updated fuel pump???

Postby waybad » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:45 pm

I want to install a 99-up ls1 fuel pump in my stock 72 Vega tank for the ls1 motor,
will it work? any body done something similar?
Thanks for your time
TC
Tinker
waybad

Re: updated fuel pump???

Postby Yenkoboy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:37 pm

I know its be done by the early Camaro and Nova group. You should go to one of those sites for info.
Mark
72 GT Vega aka "Little Evel" 22K Miles V6 3.8 T5 5 speed and 7.5 4.10 Posi
72 GT Vega aka " Little Evel II (Jegster Chassis)
Yenkoboy

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:45 am

this is my plan - no its not cheap
use the 98-02 ls1 camaro fuel pump which has a built in regulator (which i plan to gut for a tpi installation) and a canister reservoir to prevent the pump from running dry gm 25323845 acdelco mu230 denso was factory supplier - Denso Fuel Pump 953-5082 http://www.digistash.com/data/1a04f9658 ... 30317.jpeg

just not sure if it is deep enough to reach bottom of monza tank - camaro tank is about 10 inches deep

read about all the attributes here -
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp? ... 01&eq=&Tp= (click on italics in link for photos)

and the racetronix pump and hot wire kit

To facilitate the pump installation get a used gas tank from a 97 grand prix (this is used in other cars) - these should go for cheap at a junkyard - it could even have the bottom punctured.
for a picture go to http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... tsupported
or try http://www.spectrapremium.com and look at gm60a.

The tank is used in the following cars

PONTIAC
Year Model Sub. Eng. liter Fuel F.del Asp. Vin Dsg.
1997 CENTURY CUSTOM V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 CENTURY LIMITED V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 REGAL GS V6 3.8 GAS FI S 1
1997 REGAL LS V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1997 GRAND PRIX GT V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1997 GRAND PRIX GTP V6 3.8 GAS FI S 1
1997 GRAND PRIX SE V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 GRAND PRIX SE V6 3.8 GAS FI N K

There is a nice flat area around the pump ring that can be cut from the tank, drilled around the perimeter and bolted in place on the monza tank with a gasket or silcone sealer (or welded in place) .
Maybe slosh the inside of the tank with sealer for good measure and corrosion resistance

The ls1 fuel level sender is not compatible with the 0-90 ohm gas guage in our cars but part number gm 25319676/ acdelco sk1083 which is for a 97 grand prix vin238197 and earlier is a direct replacement. ( when you order this you will receive two 0-90 ohm senders with differing fuel pump connectors - you are supposed to toss the incorrect one - or sell on ebay).

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t533194 ... gauge.html

NEW FUEL PUMP MODULE 97 grand prix with 0-90 ohm sender

AC DELCO # 43-918 (mu-1729)?

AIRTEX # tu414 / E3978M

GM # 25162373

BROADCAST CODE "WFA

Here is another source for the 0-90 ohm sensor. (haven't verified)
Go into your local GM dealer and buy a fuel level sending unit for a 96-98 C/K pick-up truck. The parts guy will give you a box. Inside that box you will find 2 level senders. A 0-90 and a 0-260. All the GM level sender are pretty much the same and I know these ones are from my own swap.
GM gives you both because the truck could have used either one. You had to test the resistance on your old one, then select the one you needed and discard the other.

here is a good reference to ac delco fuel modules and senders prices up to date as of 05/09
http://www.calstateautoparts.com/JOB/ACDelco/43A-30.pdf

spectra part number for locking ring if needed is lo91

The pump has a 3/8 output, either 3/8 or 5/16 (not sure) return and a 5/16 vent line
grab the factory quick disconnect fittings and use the various fittings available from dorman to cobble up a fuel system
http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents ... airKit.pdf

on ls1 engine, monza charcoal canister vent can be hooked directly to factory ls1 purge solenoid
Last edited by monzaaddict on Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 17 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby waybad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks alot!! this is the info that I needed..TC :mrgreen:
Tinker
waybad

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:31 am

anyone happen to know the depth of a monza gas tank
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:36 am

I sent an email to spectrapremium asking if it was possible to get a flat sheet of metal with the correct flange and lock ring made for use in LS1 type swaps but I am not expecting to hear anything positive. More than likely i will cut it out of a 97 grand prix gas tank as it has the nice flat mounting area that can be transferred to the Monza tank.
monzaaddict

Postby vegatex » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:29 pm

monzaaddict wrote:I sent an email to spectrapremium asking if it was possible to get a flat sheet of metal with the correct flange and lock ring made for use in LS1 type swaps but I am not expecting to hear anything positive. More than likely i will cut it out of a 97 grand prix gas tank as it has the nice flat mounting area that can be transferred to the Monza tank.

That's how I did my LT1 pump-- had a section of a Camaro tank with the ring welded into the top of the Vega tank. I kept the stock opening for the sender. I also added a baffle to prevent fuel slosh.

The hardest part about doing an EFI conversion is building a reliable fuel system. There are no shortcuts to doing it right and it's never cheap!
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby waybad » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:32 pm

what is a good type of a baffle? any pictures of one? Thanks TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 pm

if you use the Camaro Ls1 pump you do not need any baffles the engineers developed an elaborate pickup canister system.

go back and read the link to racetronix and click on the italics in the link for photos of how the factory canister is designed.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 am

just found this link

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm

instead of cutting the recessed ring from a donor tank he is building a stepped ring which seats the pump assembly on top of the tank instead of slightly recessed below top of tank
(note that they have a link to buy the ring for $42 not a bad price - and no need for cutting up a donor tank)

anyone able to measure the depth of a monza gas tank???
monzaaddict

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 pm

On the tank out of my Monza, there is a rib right where the LS1 pump need to sit that is a little over a 1/4" tall.
Fuelpump and Tank B.jpg
On the bottom of the LS1 pump, two of these pabs would rest on that rib in the bottom of the tank.
Fuelpump and Tank A.jpg
The tank has a raised area where the original pump was mounted.
Fuelpump and Tank C.jpg
The LS1 pump can be compresed between 10 3/8" and 9 1/4" tall. My quick measerment with upper portion removed, and sitting on that rib would be 9 7/8". So I don't see why it would not work. The pump would have to be moved forward a little to prevent the fuel level sender from hitting this angled portion of the Monza tank.
Fuelpump and Tank D.jpg
Too bad that Vetteworks adapter would not work in this aplication. I think that trucks use the same type of fuel pump, but steel tanks instead of plastic, not sure though. Next time I get to the local yards I will check on the truck tanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:17 pm

this is very good info,, thank you so much for all you leg work.. TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:16 pm

-Can you post a wider angle picture of the top of the monza gas tank?
-What is the diameter of that dome on the monza tank at its widest point?
-What is the diameter of the ls1 pump at the flange (3 7/8" ?)?
-Can the upper and lower portions of the LS1 pump be disassembled and reclocked to alter the position of the fuel level sender?

Looks like that rib is either going to have to be flattened in the area where the pump will sit with a hammer and dolly and/or cut out and the area rewelded flat.

"My quick measurement with upper portion removed, and sitting on that rib would be 9 7/8". -by with upper portion removed are referring to the dome on the monza tank where the original pump installs?

Why wouldn't the vetteworks ring work?

(#GM60A)is the 97 grand prix (other uses) tank. It has a wide flat area that can be cut out and bolted or welded to the monza tank.
1997 CENTURY CUSTOM V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 CENTURY LIMITED V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 REGAL GS V6 3.8 GAS FI S 1
1997 REGAL LS V6 3.8 GAS FI N K

PONTIAC
Year Model Sub. Eng. liter Fuel F.del Asp. Vin Dsg.

1997 GRAND PRIX GT V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1997 GRAND PRIX GTP V6 3.8 GAS FI S 1
1997 GRAND PRIX SE V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 GRAND PRIX SE V6 3.8 GAS FI N K

If you want to check out other tanks go to http://www.spectrapremium.com - click on e catalog, then put in different year and model combinations. Trucks and front wheel drive 96 and up often but not always use the same flange -look for locking ring LO91 in the description. you can check the tank online before searching the junk yards. Alot of tanks have weird shapes that make them poor donors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby megavega » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:37 pm

another thing you can do is to tweak the fuel level arm off to the side if it will clear then, as long as it stays in the same height, you can bend it to one side or the other to get clearance, I have done that before in a pro street s10 build, worked perfectly. Also, I just cut the original mounting ring out of stock tank and welded it in new custom built fuel cell.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:00 pm

It does look like twisting the float 180 degrees will allow pump to be moved back closer to original mounting hole in Monza tank.

The new float position may slightly interfere with the fuel pump sock but I think further tweaking of the sender arm will eliminate that and even if it doesn't the tank will rarely be that low anyway.

Also the fuel pump sock included in the racetronix kit (which looks alot like the one on the 97 grand prix pump) is smaller than the LS1 sock and should further reduce interference. (update racetronix filter mounts on pump inside canister)

Or possibly the entire pump assembly could be installed 180 degrees from the way it is shown in 80 MONZTA's post. this would put the float in the front of the tank and the fuel fittings facing the rear - just loop the fuel lines back to the front.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Next

Return to General Discussion