Fuel Pick Up / Sender for Mechanical Pump?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Fuel Pick Up / Sender for Mechanical Pump?

Postby 73SILVERGT » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:58 am

I have a stock '73 Vega gas tank and a mechanical fuel pump on my 327. Has anyone found a sender/pickup that will work in the stock tank?

Thanks, Phil
73SILVERGT

Re: Fuel Pick Up / Sender for Mechanical Pump?

Postby 283vega » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 am

On the 2nd page of general discussion Zeke has found some units that may be of interest to you.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby zeke » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:37 am

I would have cut new tab slots and clocked it differently but this Spectra Premium sender will work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73SILVERGT » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:26 am

Zeke-

I actually had seen your post on your thread and bought that sender, but it appears way too long to fit in the Vega tank? Is the monza tank much deeper? The Vega tank is only about 5 1/2" deep and that sender is much longer.

I just ordered a 67-79 Camaro sender as they have a bend on the middle and the Camaro tank is only 7 3/4" deep, so I figure I can simply add a little more bend to it to get it to work.

Phil
73SILVERGT

Postby zeke » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:12 am

Yeah, couple inches difference. Can shorten the pickup with a compression coupler
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 pm

Zeke i am assuming those 2 notches you are making
in tank are to locate the top of disc so it does not spin around and also to clock the metal tubes on top and to locate the direction of the sock and float inside the tank. i am using a sump on the back of my tank so i really dont even need the tube inside the tan to draw gas(unless it adds stability to the whole assembly in tank), so if i just had to worry about the placement of the float in there , how high from the bottom does the float need to be, and does the float need to be pointed in a certain direction like length of float from front to back or side to side. maybe it does not matter, and maybe it does, due to hard takeoff and gas running hard to back of tank. but if im gonna put this back together, i want to do it right. thanks Art
chevyart

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:54 am

You could always bend a length of tubing and bend it to match what would be removed when taking out the fuel pump, and use a compression union to attach it to your existing sender. You might have to find a sock from a Camaro or Chevelle to put on the end of the tubing, if you're concerned about debris in the tank.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 am

thanks chuck for that good info . Art
chevyart

Postby chevyart » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:09 pm

there is one thing about the whole stock fuel tank sending unit that i dont understand, the sender i took from my 75 vega tank is the original(im positive). when the float is extended down all the way it is aprox. 9-91/4 inches lower than the disc that mounts it to the tank and the sock is a hair lower than that, and the solid (metal) fuel pump is aprox 8 inches lower than the top disc. now when i measured my tank at the hole where the assembly drops into the tank it measures aprox. 5 14 inches to the bottom. so how the heck is this stock unit gonna fit back in. i will try reassemble this soon, just to see how it fits back in (i still will need a new sending unit) could someone please explain this to me. my tank is over at another garage now so i cant do this right away. maybe the tank gets deeper towards the sides. i just dont knog. i almost feel stupid asking this question. maybe i missed something? thanks in advance for explanations Art
chevyart

Postby 73SILVERGT » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Well, the Camaro sending unit pickup tube is just about perfect but the top where the o-ring sits is WAY to small of a circumference. Seeing how I have the sender the Zeke used, I will cut the pickup tube off that one and mate the the camaro pick up tube to it using a 3/8" compression fitting. Plan on doing it this weekend and I will take some pics.

Phil
73SILVERGT

Return to General Discussion