Clutch for 3.8?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Clutch for 3.8?

Postby Monzadude » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:31 pm

I'd like to install a new clutch this summer. Its a factory 3.8L with the factory 4 speed in an 80 Skyhawk. Where is the best place to get one? I figure if i start ordering parts now I'll be ready to go by summer. As far as I know it's the original clutch. Being 40 years old and sitting in a garage for 30 years I don't completely trust it. I also need to replace the rear main oil seal so I might as well do it all at once. I'm in Canada if that makes a difference but I'm ok with U.S orders too.

Thanks in advance

Bill
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Re: Clutch for 3.8?

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Bill, try the usual suspects CTC, Part Source (those two will likely will not even have a listing), Napa, Carquest etc. as in Canada suppliers. If sticker shock and non availability sets in I have had very excellent service and delivery from Rock Auto, and Summit [is Summit still in the replacement parts business they were for awhile? If not try a McCloud, Centerforce etc. mild performance clutch] both of these US companies have an excellent Canadian pricing and delivery set-up. I don't see [from Rock Auto] a pressure plate or disc listed for the Buick right now but check all other variants, including anything with that engine/tranny set-up [remembering sizing ie; a truck clutch may well be way too large], check often as it changes often. Keep us posted with your results. If we could cross into the US right now AutoZone, Advance and O'Reilly's have all supplied me with parts [for the Monza] in a reasonable time frame and price, perhaps you know a cross border essential worker that can help you out? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monzadude » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

Thanks Harry. I see one listed at NAPA. I'll try there. I just wasn't sure if there was one that was recommended more than others. Since the car is stock, I'm guessing the NAPA clutch should be fine.
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am

I put a NAPA clutch in my El Camino, it works fine.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:41 pm

No Problem Bill! Glad to see you back in the H-Body community with your new to you Hawk! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion