Looking for Carpet Recommendation

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for Carpet Recommendation

Postby Jitterbugdude » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:27 pm

I have a 72 Vega Wagon and would like some input as to what "type" of carpet is recommended. The molded type that is hot pressed into a mold of the floor pan, or the more conventional plain ol' carpet?
One better than the other? Pros/Cons?
Thanks
Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Re: Looking for Carpet Recommendation

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

The molded type is certainly preferred, but be aware that they pack it into a small box and it will still have a lot of wrinkles and creases. It does not exactly "fall into place" like you would think. Auto Custom Carpet (ACC) is probably the most common brand and even some of the other places you get it from is still ACC.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Jitterbugdude » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:19 pm

Thanks, Appreciate the input. I'm still a year away from the big build. I'll buy the molded carpet well in advance so it has plenty of time to relax before I install it.

Randy
Jitterbugdude

Postby BloFish » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:19 pm

Is ACC the best out there?
BloFish

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:09 am

BloFish wrote:Is ACC the best out there?

It's all I've ever used. Fine quality, fits well.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 am

someone had mentioned that you can have this carpet shipped in a larger box(for a larger price) to avoid some of the severe creasing caused by shipping in too small a box. anyone know about that. someone also mentioned to get the carpet untrimmed(trim it yourself) because the factory trimmed carpet was trimmed too short going up behind the pedals., and for some reason there was a poor fit over tranny tunnel(carpet too big) and you had to do some padding under the carpet to get a good fit.. always heard it was a real good quality carpet with numerous weaves and under padding options.. also i saw a video on you tube one time with the reps from ACC and someone warned about using a heat gun to heat up carpet to remove the creases and he said you could melt the carpet if too much heat is used. i believe CJ once talked about the carpets and maybe Chuck can chime in again about some fitment tips. and i also believe Zeke may have talked about installing these carpets. probably best bet is to call ACC direct and speak to rep about all the options available . their tel. # is 1 800 352 8216. i just spoke to lady there and she said you can call them direct for all the options and then order from their distributors,(she said ordering direct from them is more expensive). a larger shipping box may be around $20 extra, and there are 2 different molds. one mold is for 71-74 vegas and one mold for 2 years of cosworths and same mold for 75-77 vegas and probably the other h-body models if floor pans are the same as Vegas. I have to get one of these carpets soon, so i will be looking for tips from our members with carpeting experience. Art
chevyart

Postby BloFish » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 pm

Ebay has some listed at $183.00
BloFish

Postby dindin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am

Be sure to take your time and do not trim the sides until you have front seats in..and everything attached..make very small holes when trying to line up everything..I prepped my floor first and expoxy primed it..and added some sound deading mats before I actually laid out the carpet..

Some pictures for inspiration...

Al
carpet 1.JPG

carpet 6.png

carpet 1.JPG

carpet 2.JPG

carpet 3.png

carpet 4.png

carpet 5.png

carpet 7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Return to General Discussion