Camaro seats

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Camaro seats

Postby Scwten13 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:23 am

Are certain year Camaro /Firebird seats the same as the ones in my 77 Astre wagon? Front and or rear? I thought I read that once at this site but can’t find the post. It’s a lot easier to find parts for Camaros and Firebirds than an Astre. Any other parts fit?
Scwten13

Re: Camaro seats

Postby classic_cruiser » Sat May 01, 2021 8:05 am

There is a pretty good cross-reference for seats in this thread:
http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28711

I know other parts will interchange for the 76-80 coupes, but I do not have direct experience with the wagon.
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby TTait » Sun May 02, 2021 1:41 am

I've been looking at this the last week or two, and talking to some old school upholstery guys who were recovering seats 30 years ago and since.

The seats in the Monza are at least similar to the LT seats in the Camero, but they do not appear to be identical. from a seat skin and foam perspective the differences are pretty obvious, the seams are horizontal on the Monza and vertical the Camero, and the Camero seats are a little deeper and built out slightly differently around the headrest.

That said, you could get a Camero Seat Skin to work on a Monza seat if you worked with additional foam long enough and played around with the hog rings, etc, but they aren't a perfect fit. They are more forgiving in cloth than vinyl.

As to the mechanical components that comes down to the part numbers. Clyde has the parts books on the H body side, not sure about the Camero stuff to compare. A friendly dealer might still have the books and be willing to work with you, especially if you are a familiar face. Its pretty easy for cars 1984 and earlier as the big online sellers put the parts diagrams online, but not cars as old as ours.

If Clyde can get you GM parts numbers on the H body side you can try calling the Camero Specialty shops and they probably know the parts numbers on their side.
In the meantime I'm trying to determine just how close the Camero sunvisors are to the Monza. They they aren't perfect, but look pretty close. Again, much easier with the modern stuff. It only took a few minutes to work out that I could upgrade the sun visors in my 17 Bolt with telescoping units from a 17 Volt - but figuring out what they did in the 70's? Good luck.
On my third H Body - 1975 Monza 2+2 4.3L Orange/Black (Current State: Running great - needs the AC finished before summer hits hard)
76 Monza 2+2 L4 (1982-1987)
77 Starfire V6 (1987-1987)
82 Delorean - Universal Raffle Car (2005-2013)
81 Delorean 2009 - Present
17 Chevy Bolt 2017- Sold back to GM for almost a full refund
22 Mustang Mach E on order
TTait

Postby cammerjeff » Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm

If your Astre has the upgraded or "delux" interior package, the seats will be identical to the same year Firebird base seats. Actually pretty nice seats. If you car has the base interior they will have the Vega base model seats. Not so nice seats.

2 ways to tell what interior you have,
(1) No Grab bar of the passenger side of the dash, and hard plastic door panels = Base interior
(2) Grab bar on the dash, and padded vinyl door panels = Delux interior

But keep in mind alot of things can be previous owner swapped on a 45 + year old car.

But it means that 2nd gen Camaro & Firebird seats will swap into a Vega, Astre, or Sunbird/Monza wagon using the original seat rails.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby Scwten13 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 am

Thanks cammerjeff, that’s the info I needed. Now to find that unicorn also known as a wagon windshield...
Scwten13

Return to General Discussion