Used Monza 2+2 carpet

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Used Monza 2+2 carpet

Postby TTait » Tue May 25, 2021 6:09 pm

I'll be taking my Black carpet out of the car tonight or tomorrow. It is in "fair" condition ibn the front footwells and good condition aft of that. I I did not intend to take great care removing it and plan on putting it straight in the trash can unless someone wants it bad enough to ask me to remove it with care and ship it to them.

I assume everyone here would simply order a new kit, but if someone really wants it let me know fast either in the thread of by PM.
On my third H Body - 1975 Monza 2+2 4.3L Orange/Black (Current State: Running great - needs the AC finished before summer hits hard)
76 Monza 2+2 L4 (1982-1987)
77 Starfire V6 (1987-1987)
82 Delorean - Universal Raffle Car (2005-2013)
81 Delorean 2009 - Present
17 Chevy Bolt 2017- Sold back to GM for almost a full refund
22 Mustang Mach E on order
TTait

Re: Used Monza 2+2 carpet

Postby monzaaddict » Tue May 25, 2021 9:02 pm

i would make sure the replacement carpet actually fits before throwing out the factory carpet. 75's have a taller transmission tunnel and replacement carpets generally do not take this into account.
monzaaddict

Postby TTait » Tue May 25, 2021 10:27 pm

Thank you. I've just been straddling it taking out the seatbelts!
On my third H Body - 1975 Monza 2+2 4.3L Orange/Black (Current State: Running great - needs the AC finished before summer hits hard)
TTait

Postby TTait » Tue May 25, 2021 10:50 pm

Although the carpets are designed to be trim- to- fit and have several inches of material all around, it appears that my new carpet is only 1" wider than required at the widest part of the car (the area where the tunnel us tallest and the seat pans are lowest). I measured the car and existing carpet as 65 inches wide with 33 on the drivers side and 32 on the passenger when measuring on top of the carpet. The new piece is 66" at this point. There is no easy way to find the centerline of the carpet at this point.

This is an ACC carpet. Is there a thread with photos?

I'm now concerned that the hot molded depressions won't line up even if it is wide enough.

Looks like I need to call the distributor before I proceed just to get on record. Any photos or other information appreciated.

Tom
TTait

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Tom I'd reach out to Clyde after reading about his install he made his fit reasonably to his expectations and from the pic's you'll see those aren't very low, like "Empire State Building low"! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Fri May 28, 2021 9:58 am

I used ACC in my 75 Monza. I did order mine direct from ACC "untrimmed" which gives you a bit more material especially on the firewall. The first ACC carpet I installed many years earlier fell short on the firewall, I pieced in some extra pieces at the time. I also ordered mine without the heel pad as the first one ended up being higher on the tunnel than I liked. I did finally get it to fit well but I spent days on it to get it fit the way I wanted and get out all of the creases/wrinkles from cramming it into a small box after it was "molded". Unfortunately there are not a lot of choices out there, even ordering one from someone else often ends up being from ACC. As long as it reaches the sill plates you can make it work, a little TLC with a hair dryer (don't use too much heat) will help get it to sit pretty well.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby TTait » Mon May 31, 2021 1:14 pm

I've been offline for a few days helping with my son's Eagle project. Thanks for the info.

ACC is willing to take back the carpet they sent me - it is trimmed a bit too close for comfort for what I can tell, especially the width. it appears to be pretty much the same width untrimmed as what came out of the car, and that was a little short from shrinkage or compression of the padding at the rocker panel on one side. Too close for comfort but they are accepting it back.

In the meantime I've found Newark Auto:

http://newark-auto.com/replacement-carpets/

They manufacture sewn carpet kits, not molded, so it definitely has a different look and will look a bit different from stock, but I've seen nice sewn carpet installations before at car shows on other models and that would be acceptable to me if its well executed. The price is about the same but they are swamped with orders so it will be well into the summer before they ship. They said they use a different pattern for the 1975 versus other years so that's a good sign. They also sell reproduction floor mats.

I'm ordering spare carpet for the rear seat back and a new cargo area mat, there may be enough left over to cover under the rear quarter windows and the underside of the hatch as well, but they are unsure how much extra yardage will fit in their standard shipping box.

I'll still have to have the local upholstery shop sew binding around the new seat back carpet in place, and hem around the new cargo area mat. I'm not sure if I want to have a faux spare tire cover sewn up or just extend the mat over that area with a cover of some type. Either way it will be a hidden storage area with a cover. I'm not going to put new rubber on the compact spare so there is no point in lugging it around - I have AAA premier if I have a flat.

I'm not sure if the carpet has been messed with before, but the passenger side had significantly more padding with a white cotton batting as the bottom layer, but the drivers side didn't have that. Seems odd to me. the padding was all pretty musty so it will all come out, I'll figure out how much replacement padding to install once I see how the new kit fits. For now I'll take everything down to metal and give it a nice rust preventative treatment before building back up again.

If anyone needs any reference photos of the floor, or while my instrument cluster is removed now is a great time for special requests.

Thanks again for the info. I would love to see any photos of the work in progress and the finished product Clyde.

Tom
TTait

Return to General Discussion