The Times continue to change

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

The Times continue to change

Postby classic_cruiser » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:29 am

It’s interesting how when I search Craigslist for Monza or Sunbird in areas around eastern PA, mostly what I get are:

Old Sunbird boats
Corvair ads
Motorcycle ads
Monza exhaust systems
A ton of ads for “sell your klunker now”
The occasional ad for an early 90’s or late 80’s sunbird convertible

This has been going on for some time, but every year it gets to be fewer and fewer ads for actual h-body stuff! It’s been at least 8 years since I saw any other H-body actually driving on the road.
Even other makes and generations are affected, I have a bunch of 87 cavalier stuff to sell, and I can’t even find people who are interested for dirt cheap.

Is interest in these old GM cars waning in your neck of the woods too?
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Re: The Times continue to change

Postby gt350fme » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:14 pm

Unfortunately hbodys are a nitch market for sure.
I did a CL search for all of California and nearby and found only 7 Vega parts listings and no whole cars, classic cars.com has a number off nice complete early cars for sale and some are quite pricy, good for us.
As for seeing any hbodys on the road I was surprised to see a rough early stock Vega about a year ago parked near a coastal access trail, did a double take on that one, haven’t seen it since.
Since finally getting my 73 v8 Vega on the road this year, which has been a blast by the way, every time I take it out for a putt I get thumbs ups, long looks from folks wondering what the? is that, and if I stop somewhere almost always someone stops to complement or to ask what is it or they had one in the past and are amazed to see one again, but theirs wasn’t like this one, one fellow I talked to stopped a second time and had to take some pics.
Rare doesn’t necessarily mean valuable but for those that love these cars it doesn’t matter.
GT
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby CanyonMonza » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:44 am

I moved to South Dakota from Western New York State last year. I have not seen an H-body on the road, but know of one a person keeps in an enclosed trailer. Apparently he raced it at one time.

Bill
CanyonMonza - 80 Monza 2+2
CanyonMonza

Postby TurboKen » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm

I take my 75 monza towne coupe up to novato ca. to the cars and coffee every month, usually about 500 cars there, always get a few people excited when they see it, remembering if they had one or seen them driving around, saw a couple of v8 vega's at the goodguys car show last week too, and there's some guy hot rodding around in another monza, havent ran into him, h bodys are great and I love having something different . if you want to see my monza at the cars and coffee and hundreds of other cars go to mutantsurfing.smugmug.com there are monthly pics always with differnt cool cars, enjoy!

Ken
TurboKen

Postby vegastre » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Not to worry...
The Vega legend will live on in infamy as one of the worst GM cars ever produced. I accepted that many years ago. Bar it's bad rap and somewhat dubious collector interest is of little concern to me. In a nutshell, it's GM history as well as 70's racing and let's not forget the "Shade Tree V8 Swap" if you were lucky enough to do that.

Yaa... I gave up on CL a long time ago. I listed H-Body parts and never got any real interest. Took Vega parts to swap meets and sold a few here and there. Now, I don't bother because the parts have become so rare it makes no sense to sell them for nickels and dimes on CL or Swap Meets. Ebay and Facebook do a good job as well as our "For Sale" section. And, yes times are a changing.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby zeke » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm

Nice Sunbird coupe, was on ebay for 4500$

https://barnfinds.com/one-owner-1978-po ... ird-coupe/
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Funny you mention/bring this up, as this year I seen a new to the area Monza, and talked to the young man [late 20's-early 30's] about his tubbed out '75 with a '78 up front clip, and a never seen by me before Vega with a loud V8 ripping by my house, [I may have seen this in a driveway, but I didn't have time to stop and investigate, and was gone later] Same cruise night I see the Monza, I also talked to a gent with an '80 Sunbird that he purchased new, but I haven't seen it yet. But before this, outside of the Monza'Que and Quaker city meets and this boards acquaintances/friends, Nada for ~10+/- years! Seems to run in cycles, I also seen one on "Iron Resurrection" and apparently "Shag" Loves them. I also posted a few TV sightings lately as well in another thread here. Hang in there they will come around again. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion