Skyhawk Fuel System

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Skyhawk Fuel System

Postby j3orda4n » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I just got a 78' Skyhawk and have been trying to get it running.
I dropped the gas tank and it is a total mess. The tank doesn't seem to have any holes upon first inspection, but there is a ton of rust on the inside of the tank. Also the entire sending unit is totally gummed up with a black tar like substance. Also in one of the fuel lines I can see that the gas has gelled up. I am pulling the engine to go through the whole thing, but I am sure there is more issues.

I want to know what my options are. Is it best to try to soak everything and clean it? If that doesn't work what are my other options?
Can I use a tank from any other H-Body? Is there a new tank that is an option? Can I do some type of conversation that will work?
What do I do about my sending unit if it won't come clean? What are some options?
Fuel lines? Options?
j3orda4n

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Re: Skyhawk Fuel System

Postby 283vega » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 am

In the Best of section of the forum Zeke just posted about a replacement sender that can be used. Check it out.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby jim327monza » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:45 pm

I used Red-Kote to seal my tank. I put about a pound of pea gravel in the tank (with it off the car) shake it as much as possible, repeat
as necessary. Red Kote is made to go over rust and to seal pin holes, but is best to get it as clean as possible. As for the sender try TrtStar Radiator if you want to re build it. I had mine done there and could not been more pleased.
jim327monza

Postby chevyart » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 am

i have heard a farm boy say he mounted the tank on a big tractor tire , filled it with fish tank gravel and spun it around for a long time and got the inside of tank nice and clean. i think i remember Megavega(don) say not to use sealers inside of the tank as the new gas(corn) dissolves the sealer over time and messes up the tank on the inside.. any comments about that from our knowledgeable members. Art
chevyart

Postby jim327monza » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Red Kote is compatible with almost all additives found in gasoline. Check their web site if you have any questions.
jim327monza

Return to General Discussion