Fuel filler problems

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Fuel filler problems

Postby sirrick4 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:03 pm

G'day everyone.
I was wondering about the problem I have when putting fuel in my Monza. I have to do it real slow otherwise it all just comes surging back out again. Is this a common problem or is there something that I should be checking?

Cheers
Rick
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Re: Fuel filler problems

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am

I rarely have that problem, are you inserting the nozzle all the way in as far as it will go?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby zeke » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 am

Pull the filler tube off the car and check for foreign objects lodged inside
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby sirrick4 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks guys. Clyde I must admit that I've never actually filled it at a service station. Only ever done it with jerry cans. I've had a few setbacks over the years with the build but I am hoping to have the old girl on the road legally by Christmas
Zeke I don't think that's the problem, I've had the tank and filler out during the rebuild of the car. I think it may be something to do with what Clyde suggested.
Cheers
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby TTait » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:17 am

It may have to do with the type of fuel filler you are using. Here in the US some states have clean air systems where there is a flexible tube with slight vacuum that meets up with the gas filler neck on the car, and the metal tube runs inside it (California for example) and other states where there is maybe just a rubber flap further back on the fuel filler that deflects any splash if you overfill the car.

The Clean air California style is often problematic with older cars, causing the problem you stated or not wanting to pump unless you manually pull back some on the outer tube without fully inserting the metal fill tip. I've had exactly the problem you describe on some pumps, and not on others, depending on how this system is configured. Also, higher pumping rates make the problem worse. The car simply can't be filled with the fastest flow rates at some stations near my home.

I don't have any blockages in my fill pipe, but it may not allow air to vent back out as the fuel goes in as fast as it did in 75.

Tom
On my third H Body - 1975 Monza 2+2 4.3L Orange/Black (Current State: Running great - needs the AC finished before summer hits hard)
76 Monza 2+2 L4 (1982-1987)
77 Starfire V6 (1987-1987)
82 Delorean - Universal Raffle Car (2005-2013)
81 Delorean 2009 - Present
17 Chevy Bolt 2017- Sold back to GM for almost a full refund
22 Mustang Mach E on order
TTait

Return to General Discussion