sway bars 73 Vega And brake booster

Moderator: Moderators

sway bars 73 Vega And brake booster

Postby freeman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:48 am

Hi to all. I just bought my Vega 2 weeks ago, very nice car but no sway bars and no brake booster?. I,ve looked at a few places like Summit and can only find a listing for a rear bar no front. Also i,d like to put a firewall mounted booster on It, but trying to find an original or one that bolts like the original. i seem to be going round in circles. What makes it even harder is I,m in Melbourne Australia.
Any help would be great.

Thanks Hans
freeman

Re: sway bars 73 Vega And brake booster

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:29 am

GM designed the Vega to handle as well without a sway bar as a Nova with one. Perhaps a member on this board can help with a used sway bar, but I cringe to think what the shipping would cost, as they are quite heavy for what they are. On the bright side, a sway bar from any H-body will fit, so if you can find one off of a Monza, Skyhawk, Astre, etc, locally. You will need the lower control arms with the bracket for the sway bar link, however, or fabricate one.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby freeman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 am

Thanks guys for your help checked addco seems like they only make rear bars, even though they list a front as well.
I checked and there out of stock of the rears as well. I will look over here to see if i can source something of another make, not to many Vega,s Monza,s Ect in Aus to pick parts for.
Cheers Hans.
freeman

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:59 am

if you are in Australia join "oz monzas" on facebook. Someone is parting out an Oldsmobile starfire which as been converted to rh drive. It looks like it is using the stock brake booster and might have swaybars. You need the power brake pedal if converting from manual brake. If adding swaybars, you need front lower control arms with brackets. In the rear you need the lower control arms with spacers, shims and bolts.
monzaaddict

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm working on a video for adding a rear sway bar and a brake booster at the moment. If you have a lot of 2000-ish S10 Blazers in your area, I would recommend picking a non-running 2wd model and watching videos on my build thread or youtube channel. It should solve many of your issues.

The brake booster will wait until after I get the blazer brakes up front so I can check and see if it is really needed.

Good luck.
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby freeman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:00 am

Thanks for all the replys, I,ve sorted out the front sway bar having one made here in Melbourne Aus $300. Going to see how it handles before putting on a rear bar.
Booster i,m looking at next, Then going to look at a Toyota 4v hemi V8 tommorow, Not looking for major power just something very different. Engine is all alloy and only weighs about 250 lbs.
Cheers Hans in Aus
freeman

Postby Kenova » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:50 pm

freeman wrote:,........... Then going to look at a Toyota 4v hemi V8 tommorow, Not looking for major power just something very different. Engine is all alloy and only weighs about 250 lbs.
Cheers Hans in Aus

Sounds like a cool little engine. If you pick it up we will need pictures. :lol:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby freeman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi to all. Can anybody tell me why the top rear control arm has a large curve in it?, i can see no reason for it, there is nothing that it would hit if it was straight
I had a front sway bar made here in Aus and after looking at some photo,s of original bars and aftermarket one,s they all had bends that were not needed so i made mine straight across the front of the chassis rails on the original location, and then straight back to the lower control arms. i used the original arms just drilled holes for the links to bolt to.
It was very simple to do with no change of the lower arms needed.. Cheers Hans in Aus
freeman

Postby Smiley » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 am

At the stock ride height the rear upper control arms needed the curve for clearance at full suspension travel.
If you raise the ride height or the upper control arm mounting points on the axle then the upper control arms can be straight.

The GT Vega front sway bar was straight and 7/8” od.
The curved bars came on the later V6 & V8 H-body cars to clear the double and triple groove crank pulleys, they were 1.062” or 1.125” od.
Smiley

Postby freeman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 am

Hi. I,m looking for a power steering box for my 73 Vega. Nearly ready to start putting the Toyota Hemi V8 together just waiting on camshaft to be reground and heads to come back from machining .070 off to get comp up to 10.2 to one. Spent nearly 3 weeks on and off porting heads and manifold. Will keep all informed with video and pics when i,m done.
Thanks Hans InAus
freeman

Postby Smiley » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:59 pm

power steering cars use a different drag link, they are pricy and hard to find new.
Smiley

Postby freeman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:25 am

Hello all. Went to a power steering rack, after i put the dummy engine and trans in no room for original steering shaft. Just finished the fitting of the rack just waiting for one inch Borgeson steering uni to come and steering issue solved. Next the headers no room for long pipes with collectors going to make a set 1 5/8 try y,s. Cheers Hans in Aus
freeman

Postby Smiley » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Cool, post some pics if you can.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech