Offset Control Arm Bushings

Moderator: Moderators

Offset Control Arm Bushings

Postby PumpGas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:09 am

Good morning, Would anyone know what is the approximate camber difference is by installing these bushings?

Thanks in advance.
PumpGas

Re: Offset Control Arm Bushings

Postby PumpGas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:35 pm

I believe I found the answer 3/4 deg. Found it in the forms.. :th:
PumpGas

Postby chevyart » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:23 pm

are you going to put the offset bushings in the front and rear of control arm or just in front of control arm. i think that megavega had said you only needed them on the front side of the arm to get the added camber adjustment(not in both the on both sides) front and rear). cosvega 76 had explained to me how to clock the bushings(offset towards the engine but i am not sure if i had asked him if he used them on front and rear or just the front of the arm..im pretty sure that is the way he explained that to me. (hope i am right) if you are listening in chuck, could you please chime in. thanks art in NY
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Depending upon how you clock the bushings you can adjust the caster and camber. It's the same principle as "normal" cars that use shims on the upper control arm to make adjustments. You can move the upper balljoint in or out and front to back depending upon their position. These can be used as a rough adjustment and then final fine tuning can be performed with the lower cam bolts.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Smiley » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:34 pm

0CD5A72F-AD06-47B7-8840-996C7C8D5EBA.jpeg

If you are doing the S10 spindle swap with Bob Gumm taper adapters
use the offset bushings on all 4 of the upper control arm locations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smiley

Postby PumpGas » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks for your input chevyart cjbiagi. My plan was to install both front and rear to get back to .5 neg camber. Car is Race Only. I'm new at this camber stuff however it's very interesting. Car was perfect until I lowered the front three inches. I'm reading more on the subject in this form.. Lot of great information.

Thanks
PumpGas

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:04 pm

You would need to orient them the same way on both front and rear of the control arm. There isn't enough give in the bushings to either stagger them or only use one and still get the bolts in easily.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby PumpGas » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Thanks Chuck and Smiley, going to order them this week. Will install them as per the picture Smiley attached.

The Napa part # 267-1366 for the offset ones...

Thanks again.
Dennis
PumpGas

Postby chevyart » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:30 pm

i have a pretty good idea how these bushings work now. smileys picture shows the way to put these bushings in. that picture would be the pass. side control arm with the offset hole pointing towards the engine and the arrow pointing out towards the ball joint. drivers side would be just the opposite. that is the way cosvega had explained it to me. also cosvega just explained in perfect detail why you have to use the bushings in both front and rear of each control arm, and cj just explained why we do this and how we can gwt the best adjustments. im still not sure of what we are looking for as far as the camber goes.pump gas is looking for negative camber for straight line drag racing, and what will i be looking for in a street driven vega with stock front suspension? would either one on the camber adjustments call for totally different clockings in the bushing installments. not sure of that one.. thanks again to CJ, Smiley, and Cosvega 76. good luck pump gas. let us know of your results on this install. Art
chevyart

Postby Smiley » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:15 pm

magnetic level type camber gauges are
like $12 on ebay

IMG_1809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smiley

Postby chevyart » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:17 pm

smiley me having one of those magnetic camber gauges is like a monkey having a calculus book, no can do, but i am definitely learning from you guys. i am a car guy but know nothing about front ends and their workings. thanks for all the info you guys give. Art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:14 am

You have to also realize that with a unequal A arm suspension ( upper arms are shorter than lower ones) that the camber is going to change as the ride height changes. So the fact that you lowered the car significantly (3") is going to create negative camber on a stock H body. As the chassis is lowered the upper A arm swings up at a greater angle than the lower
arm, this results in the negative camber.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby PumpGas » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:17 pm

cjbiagi wrote:You have to also realize that with a unequal A arm suspension ( upper arms are shorter than lower ones) that the camber is going to change as the ride height changes. So the fact that you lowered the car significantly (3") is going to create negative camber on a stock H body. As the chassis is lowered the upper A arm swings up at a greater angle than the lower
arm, this results in the negative camber.

You nailed it Clyde, I ordered the bushing this A.M. hopefully they will solve the camber issue.

Thanks again.
Dennis
PumpGas

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech