Still no brakes

Moderator: Moderators

Still no brakes

Postby Monzadude » Thu May 07, 2020 5:13 pm

So I need ideas. My 80 skyhawk hasn't had brakes since I got it. The pedal just went to the floor with no resistance. No stopping power at all. So I've replaced the master with a rebuilt one from NAPA. I bleed it on the bench and got great pressure. It went nice and solid. After installing it, it had some resistance without the motor running but not much. Once I started it for the booster to work i had almost nothing at all. I have just a little at the bottom but the pedal is on the floor. I moved the car on the lane way and it was able to stop but just barely.
I didn't bleed the brakes at the wheels yet. I'm going to do that next because I want to flush the old fluid out and have just new stuff. I'm not sure if I even have enough pressure to bleed them. Any ideas?
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Re: Still no brakes

Postby cjbiagi » Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 pm

You have to bleed the brakes, no doubt there is air in the lines. If your MC is good you will have plenty of pressure to bleed them.
Last edited by cjbiagi on Fri May 08, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 283vega » Thu May 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Make sure your rear shoes are adjusted out to the drums. I had no brake pedal after changing a rear until I adjusted the shoes
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby Monzadude » Fri May 08, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks. I'll try to get at bleeding them today. That should be fun. Lord knows when the last time was that the bleeder screws were touched. I'm sure they'll all just turn with no issue. Lol
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech