Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windshield Replacement

Postby zeke » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm

This source has dried up currently :-(
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Windshield Replacement Tips?

Postby TTait » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:06 pm

My new windshield arrives tomorrow and gets installed by a mobile installer Friday.

Any tips to prevent disaster? I'm now sure how many older cars this guy will have done and I don't know if there are any special considerations. If this was 1982 I'd expect the installer to know exactly what was going on, but it could be a young buck who has never done a windshield from this era.

I have already removed the windshield trim myself, don't want the installer rushing and damaging anything, and it gave me the opportunity to clean it up and repaint the black. I'll reinstall it myself too.

The windshield will have an integrated antenna. I'm not sure how long the lead is coming off the new windshield. Is the connection right there or will he need to get into the dash to do the job? Is this something I might want to prep myself as well? Is there some sort of grommet or sleeve where the antenna goes thru the body that I will want to replace that won't come with the new windshield? its too late to order one, but I could gin one up out of substitute parts (Shrink wrap?).

Finally, does anyone need any reference photos that are only available while the windshield is out?

The car is a 75 Monza 2+2.

Tom

Any tips for controlling where the urethane goes, making sure there is a good seal, that it seats in
On my third H Body - 1975 Monza 2+2 4.3L Orange/Black (Current State: Running great - needs the AC finished before summer hits hard)
76 Monza 2+2 L4 (1982-1987)
77 Starfire V6 (1987-1987)
82 Delorean - Universal Raffle Car (2005-2013)
81 Delorean 2009 - Present
17 Chevy Bolt 2017- Sold back to GM for almost a full refund
22 Mustang Mach E on order
TTait

Postby TIM » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 am

Looking for a new windshield for a 76 Monza.
Where did you find yours?
Tim
TIM

Postby TTait » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:21 am

Auto City Classics. They get periodic shipments of new glass in from their manufacturer. if they have one today - go ahead and get it. If they don't have it today they will eventually. I think covid screwed things up as far as logistics.

When I called in April? they had 2 in stock (Monza 2+2 with antenna). I was immediately relieved and said I'd call back in a day or two to order. They said ok, but they sold 2 of them the week before and they didn't know when more would come in, so i Ordered on the spot.

The packaging was fantastic. These things would likely survive a nuclear war. Not cheap - but they work.

The installer said they seemed a few mm to narrow side to side - but it worked out fine. They were careful.

Got mine installed by an independent local mobile installer for $150. Two guys showed up and did a great job. I tipped them $20 each.

In north LA county I'll recommend Vega Mobile auto glass out of Palmdale. The irony was not lost on me.
On my third H Body - 1975 Monza 2+2 4.3L Orange/Black (Current State: Running great - needs the AC finished before summer hits hard)
76 Monza 2+2 L4 (1982-1987)
77 Starfire V6 (1987-1987)
82 Delorean - Universal Raffle Car (2005-2013)
81 Delorean 2009 - Present
17 Chevy Bolt 2017- Sold back to GM for almost a full refund
22 Mustang Mach E on order
TTait

Postby E1000 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 pm

Does anyone have a good source for new windshields? I'm in desperate need of one and all the sources mentioned are out of stock it seems.
E1000

Previous

Return to Restoration Tips