pressboard headliner reinstallation

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

pressboard headliner reinstallation

Postby Bird » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 am

The original pressboard/cardboard headliner in my 1957 Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon is in fine shape but has bowed. I'm trying to reinstall and can't figure out how to either get the bow out or connect it to the roof. Have tried velcro and other gimmicky fixes to no avail. There must be a sturdy way to reattach it. I can't bear to think of putting in a non stock fabric replacement. All help appreciated.
Bird
Bird

Re: pressboard headliner reinstallation

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Welcome Bird, are you a fan of H-Body Gm cars as well as Mid Cen. Penta star rides? That material [and I use that term loosely just squeezed cardboard] isn't very forgiving, so my thought would go a couple of ways, create some kind of "buck" and let it rest over it and "GENTLY" moisten the board and let gravity do her thing, I rate this at a 4 out of 10 for a successful outcome, and likely death of part if you get overzealous with the moisture, material will almost definitely need to be re-applied, [maybe now or not, but almost guaranteed later]. I would consider making the board over with fiberglass and transfer your cloth as your best chance at success. First one will be cheapest, second approach not so much. That is the best I have to offer. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: pressboard headliner reinstallation

Postby 67shovel » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 pm

I did what Hairy suggested. My vega wagon headliner cardboard was drooping in the middle so I took it out, flipped it upside down, and proped up the edges. Got it wet and set weight in center to correct problem.
Roger
79 Monza wagon Pro street, cage tubs narrowed 9
73 GT Vega wagon street car 355 700r4 a/c
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
65 Corvair Corsa midengine 301
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
67shovel

Return to Restoration Tips