Moderator: Moderators

How did it go at Pocono?

Postby rpoz-29 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:39 pm

Inquiring minds want to know.
rpoz-29

Re: How did it go at Pocono?

Postby ck_carnut » Fri May 01, 2009 11:01 am

I'll tell you on Sunday; it hasn't happened yet. :lol:

I spent yesterday bleeding the brakes and generally making sure the car is in good shape. I have to leve my house VERY early tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain (much)!
My fleet:
'75 Cosworth Vega #1103
'77 MG Midget
'91 BMW 318is (the next project)
'00 Ranger (Parts hauler and occasional tow rig)
'09 WRX (her DD)
ck_carnut

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby rpoz-29 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Oops! Good luck and have fun. I can not wait until I start autocrossing my Vega again. I've been running my Z-28 since 2003. It's fast, it's fun, but it isn't my Vega. It's a '73 GT,(bought new), and I plan to run in F/SP. I just have to get in the garage and make it happen. Make us proud!
rpoz-29

Postby ck_carnut » Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 am

To sum up:
:D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We were on the east course, which is the most technical road course at Pocono. There were 4 25 minute track sessions, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. All sessions we ran with an instructor, which was very helpful in learning the course and car control, where to brake, where to turn in, etc. The morning I spent trying to learn the proper line while simultaneously learning how the CV handles at speed. By the first afternoon session, I was getting the car down, and could concentrate on the line and hitting the corner apexes right. I had a lot of fun on this one, and came off the track with a big grin!

Throughout the session, I could tell I was cooking the brakes, as toward the end of each track run the brake pedal was getting lower and lower as the brakes got hot (stock brakes, solid rotors). Once the brakes cooled for the next session, the pedal was back. After the 3rd track run, I checked the pads, and noticed that they were down quite close to the rivets, and I didn't bring spares. Plus, I still had to drive home. So instead of going out for the fourth run, I went out with the instructor as a passenger in his Z4 M roadster. What a rush! After driving the course myself, it was eye-opening to see (and feel) it run with someone who knows what they're doing!

SO I learned a few things:
-I need a brake upgrade
-But, the smoother I got in the line, the less I cooked the brakes (3rd run especially)
-I tend to enter the corners too fast (got better at this on the 3rd run)
-I ran the course mostly in 3rd gear, except for 1 hairpin where I needed to slow and downshift to 2nd. I need to work on my downshift timing to keep the rear from skittering.

I can't wait to do it again!

-=Chris
My fleet:
'75 Cosworth Vega #1103
'77 MG Midget
'09 WRX (her DD)
ck_carnut

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 pm

What mods have you made to your Cosworth, and what tires did you run on? It sounds like you're hooked.
rpoz-29

Postby ck_carnut » Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 pm

No mods (yet! :) ), stock FI, stock brakes, Cooper street tires.

Yeah, I'm hooked! :mrgreen:

NASA Northeast is sponsoring an autocross near me in Somerville in June. I need to replace the front brakes after this weekend, so I'm going to at least swap on Monza vented rotors and Monza calipers.

The S-10 conversion is in the back of my mind, but I'll definitely need to do both ends and add a prop valve, and get new wheels and tires. A bit more money than is in my budget at the moment, but maybe a winter project.

Also planning on doing the re-indexed cam sprockets from the CVOA this winter as well.
My fleet:
'75 Cosworth Vega #1103
'77 MG Midget
'09 WRX (her DD)
ck_carnut

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Chris,
Sounds like you had a great time. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes. Most of this message board is made up of folks who like to get their thrills a 1/4 mile at a time. To me it's not driving until you have to take some corners. Did you get your timing issue fixed?
Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby ck_carnut » Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 am

Not yet - no time before the weekend. I want to verify the TDC mark on the pulley is in the correct spot before I go changing the ignition timing. Neverthelesss, the car ran strong. It was great to hear the Cosworth at full song down the straight in 3rd and the tach nudging 6500 rpm!
My fleet:
'75 Cosworth Vega #1103
'77 MG Midget
'09 WRX (her DD)
ck_carnut

Return to Road Racing and AutoX