Help needed '76 Astre stalling

Moderator: Moderators

Help needed '76 Astre stalling

Postby TK5759 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm having trouble giving my '76 Astre gas. I drove to work this morning just fine and when I left today I would get to about 25/30 mph and it would start stalling like it wasn't getting any gas. I can idle just fine but it won't rev when I tap the accelerator. If I give it just a little gas, it'll start to stumble like its about to die.
I've been tinkering around the motor the last couple days getting everything freshened up. New air filter, oil change, changed the coolant (had to have the radiator welded back up too), but everything was just fine up until today. I was monkeying with some of the wiring last night as I was trying to figure out how to wire in an electric temp gauge and disconnected the oil pressure switch/reconnected it as well as a single wire going to the front of the carb (electric choke?). Has anyone run into this before?
TK5759

1976 Pontiac Astre Hatchback

Re: Help needed '76 Astre stalling

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:47 am

My first guess would be the fuel filter.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Try what Dick said and maybe, this. By '76 it should have HEI I believe but sounds like a condenser should be checked. Not as likely with the HEI as points but still possible, but more likely is that you touched some 40 year old wire that was borderline to start with ! So I would start with re-tracing your trip trough the "Tune Up" and check anything that could have failed because "it didn't like the way you looked at it" :lol: Harry
I was just thinking as I was reading and this also sounds like a plugged fuel filter/sock just going over some things in my head Harry again
Last edited by Monza Harry on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby kgroombr » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Weak fuel pump is my guess.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby TK5759 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I'll post my findings in a few days when I've had a chance to really go through it again.
TK5759

1976 Pontiac Astre Hatchback

Postby crawfw » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:41 am

What exactly did you do to the oil pressure switch? You said disconnected/reconnected as single wire to carb choke?
That oil pressure switch has to be activated in order for your fuel pump to run. If you used the hot wire off the oil pressure switch to run your choke, I suspect that's your issue. your still getting some continuity for the fuel pump to work but not enough to mimic good oil pressure while accelerating. connect the two wire that were originally for the oil pressure switch and see what happens. I've bypassed the oil pressure switch this way out of necessity because of a faulty switch that kept making the motor die due to cutting off my fuel pump.
That is a safety feature to shut off your fuel pump in case of an accident.
let us know what you find.

Bill
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech