Sanderson headers and steering problems?

Moderator: Moderators

Sanderson headers and steering problems?

Postby spyderhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Finally fired up the 406 for the first time this weekend and I'm getting excited to get it in the car. I am leaning towards the Sanderson headers because the general consensus says that they drop right in. Sounds good to me. But the description warns of using stock motor mounts because of engine shifting and possible steering issues. Front mounts seem like they might vibrate more than stock type mounts, right? I don't want that. Anyone have any trouble with steering shaft clearance in the headers? I thought about putting swivel joints in the shaft to go around the headers if that is safer. If so, are there any other headers that might work better like hugger style, or will they go too close to the motor mounts?
spyderhunter

Re: Sanderson headers and steering problems?

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 am

I had to cut back the outer tube of the double-D column a little to clear a header tube, probably about an inch or so. There was still plenty of inner shaft in the tube to be safe.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:48 am

Every header installation is going to be a little different. There are always slight variations in engine placement and angle that can cause tight clearances to become a non clearance. Sometimes the engine can be adjusted because the stocK V8 mounts are slotted. The trans could also be tweaked with shims under the mount. With as old as these cars are there could be some frame spread or other issues that just have to be worked around. Factor in V8 swaps, stock vs aftermarket parts, problems just arise. That is what hot rodding is about, working out these problems.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Old Rob » Tue May 14, 2019 12:46 am

One thing you might try to get a little more steering clearance is to loosen the colloum at the floor and push it to the left and re-tighten it. Not much,however every little bit helps.
Old Rob

Postby gregh » Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm

There also seems to be differences if you have tilt steering or not, i think the shaft for tilt is larger. I had to dimple my sanderson's quite a bit to clear my tilt steering shaft.
gregh

Return to Engine Tech