SBC V-8 removal

Moderator: Moderators

SBC V-8 removal

Postby jim327monza » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 pm

Ok, I did a quick search and did not find an answer to my stupid question. On the SBC is it necessary to drop the transmission (manual)prior to pulling the motor? It looks to me that the motor needs to come straight up to clear the K member be four coming forward and out. I don't see another way to do it, but wanted to check to mace sure I had not missed something.
Thanks, Jim H
P.S. This is why I use This site And Don't Go on Facebook or Twatter !
jim327monza

Re: SBC V-8 removal

Postby 283vega » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Y :th: ou can remove the xmember. Just a few bolts! But Ive never pulled a v8 from a vega just a 4 banger..
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby Smiley » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Remove the hood, get the car up on jackstands and plug the tail shaft or drain the trans.
It requires tilting quite a bit if you leave the trans on the engine.
I have never removed the K-member to pull or install a V8 engine even with the transmission still attached.
Smiley

Postby jim327monza » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Ok, the transmission is coming off. I see no way to safely pull the motor/transmission as a unit.
Thanks for your input! Jim H
jim327monza

Postby chevyart » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 am

jim i take my motor-tranny out with easy. two things i did. i bought one of those tilt lifts that attach to engine crane. and you can crank the motor to different angles. it is real tight but doable. i aded an extra step in there that makes it a cinch. i cut the top of the radiator support at each end of the radiator opening(aprox. 22 inches across). you can reinstall that piece with a scab over each cut end(very neatly) and screw it together. i did my scab a little differently. and got a top piece from another vega support and made it about 4- 5 inches longer that the opening and overlapped it over my cut up radiator support and let my new piece overlap down my support about 2-3 inches. the pieces have the identical bends(shape) so they overlap perfect and i nut and bolt all the pieces together, nice and neatly and you have full strength back at the top of support. the radiator support has no bearing on the frame support so it is OK to do this method, any questions, just PM me Art Peterson in NY
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:46 pm

If it were me I would separate the engine and trans. Why fight with all that weight? Most likely you are going to remove the trans from the engine anyway, right? It might be fine to pull them together if you do this all the time and have the experience but for most of us it would be easier to do them separately.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby AZ-520 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am

I also do not understand why people fight with the engine and transmission as a unit. I see them do this on TV all the time, looks sketchy everytime. If you can have the core support removed that's a different story, but if you are going up and over, just do them seperate IMO. It does not take long to do it.
AZ-520

Return to Engine Tech