Exhaust Question

Moderator: Moderators

Exhaust Question

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am

For those that have V-8's or V-6's, your dual exhaust, Did you use an H or X style crossover pipe ? Also, did you run your pipes over? or under? the transmission support crossmember? I see that on the driver side, running the exhaust above the cross-member might put excessive heat on the speedo cable entrance to the transmission. Thanks for the input.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Exhaust Question

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:01 pm

On my 75 Monza I used a H pipe. I have both pipes running down the RH side of the car and then up and over the rearend into two Edelbrock stainless steel mufflers mounted side by side where the stock muffler was. I have had many exhaust configurations on my car over the past 45 years, this is the best way in my opinion to run a true dual exhaust. It maintains the best ground clearance and looks better from the rear. There is not a lot of room under a H body for mufflers, especially if your car is stock height or lowered. Putting the mufflers under the traditional spot under the rear seats makes them hang down and quite visible from the rear. I also ended up ripping one off one day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:06 am

I first had duals, which morphed into an H-pipe. The last exhaust I built I installed an X-pipe, through a pair of 14" Magnaflow mufflers, over the axle into a single dual-inlet, single outlet Magnaflow with a 3" outlet.

New exhaust 1.JPG

New exhaust 2.JPG

New exhaust 4.JPG

New exhaust 6.JPG

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kenova » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 pm

cosvega76 wrote:......... The last exhaust I built I installed an X-pipe, through a pair of 14" Magnaflow mufflers, over the axle into a single dual-inlet, single outlet Magnaflow with a 3" outlet.
Chuck

Now THAT I would like to hear. :th:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:56 am

It was MUCH quieter than I expected! I didn't need ear plugs on long trips anymore, though!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kenova » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:24 pm

cosvega76 wrote:It was MUCH quieter than I expected!

Chuck

It's surprising how important that is as you get older and become buzzard bait. :lol:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:01 am

Do you think the mufflers were necessary with the magnaflow 2-into-1 in the back?
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:29 am

I got the idea of modifying the crossflow muffler from Schwartz's Flyin' Turd Vega. I got to drive that and it was still a little loud for what I was considering. Since I already had the other mufflers on the car, I decided to just add the crossflow. As I said, it was nice on long trips, just not as showy at the cruise night.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jim327monza » Sat May 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Has any one looked at the True Ram Exhaust manifold from SpeedwayMoters? These are an updated version of the vett rams horn that have the outlet angled in at what looks like about 8-10 dredges. While these are still a center dump, looking at the picture the angle of the outlet looks like it should clear the shock towers and steering shaft. The description says that they will fit any where a block huger header will fit . the plain cast iron ones are $300 per set with the stainless ones going for quite a bit more. If none of us have had any experience with these I might order a set( depending on return policy) to see what can be done with them.

Happy Memorial Day. Jim H
jim327monza

Postby 283vega » Sun May 24, 2020 6:48 am

Try doing a search . I think ive seen some discussion on corvette exhaust manifolds.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby cosvega76 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 am

On my first V8 Vega, back in the '70s, I used an Impala ram's horn manifold on the driver's side, although it needed a little massaging to clear the steering column shaft. It was angled back like those C10 manifolds, but It also angled in toward the block a little. The passenger's side was a straight dump, so it wouldn't work. The C10 passenger's side is angled back, but since it has to clear the starter, it's shorter on that side. Plus, I don't know how much further out it is from the block. I'm not entirely sure it will work on an H-body - I don't think there is enough chassis clearance around the starter. I had those '67- '72-style C10 pickups in the past but never tried the manifolds.

By the way, here is a link to Speedway:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rams-Hor ... 23383.html

Chuck

Edit:
Here is what the LH Impala manifold looks like:

Impala manifold outside.JPG

Impala manifold inside.JPG
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jim327monza » Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks for the picts Chuck. If you look at the ones from speedway from the front of the motor as they are mounted they slant into the block but are not angled to the rear. the drivers side should clear the steering shaft, on the passenger side may pose a problem around the starter, or they mite not fit at all. I have an e mail in to Speedway for their return policy and if their returnable I will order a set and see if they will fit.
I will keep you posted.
Jim H
jim327monza

Postby jim327monza » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 pm

Got the Tru Ram exhaust manifolds in form Speedway. Looks like it mite work, but until I get the motor back from the shop I won't know. Keep you posted.
Jim H
jim327monza

Postby jim327monza » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:27 pm

Well, that did not go well at all. First let me say these are very well made. But they have the same issues as all other center dump manifolds. Back they go and my search contentious. the factory manifolds will get me by for now.
Jim H
jim327monza

Return to Engine Tech