5.3 LM7 Monza Swap Mount Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 5.3 LM7 Monza Swap Mount Issues

Postby xirter » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 pm

I dont have a photo currently, if I end up pulling the engine back out I will take one. PBA was the one who recommended the holesaw method to me, said that's what they used to make the clearance after emailing back and forth for awhile so it seems hes aware of the issue.
xirter

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:17 am

thanks
monzaaddict

Postby xirter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:27 pm

No problem, just emailed you a photo of the modification.
xirter

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:30 am

frame mod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sat May 08, 2021 5:22 pm

did you ever get this installed?
monzaaddict

Postby xirter » Sat May 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Totally forgot to update the thread, yes. The mounts bolted up great and the engine and transmission are installed, thanks for all the help!
xirter

Postby monzaaddict » Fri May 14, 2021 3:34 pm

what did you use for exhaust, accessory drive, etc.
monzaaddict

Postby xirter » Fri May 14, 2021 6:46 pm

For exhaust, im using a LS4 front manifold flipped upside down and forward for the driverside, and a passenger side truck manifold flipped and faced forward for the passenger side. For the accessory drive, im using a c5 corvette water pump and an alternator relocation kit to move the alternator to the top left for the turbos, made by ICT Billet. The front accessory drive clears the radiator by around 3", the radiator was a direct 3 core aluminum replacement made by champion radiators/leadfoot racing and was super affordable and dropped right in. Only modifications was to the upper radiator support which was to just cut out the upper shroud section off. Went with a perma cool 2850 cfm 10" electric pusher fan which fit without any cutting or modification at all. On a side note, the transmission (th400) barely fit without any firewall modification, just had to cut off two unused bosses off the sides of the bellhousing, leveled and bolted up using the factory crossmember just spaced back roughly 4" with some angle iron and a 1/2 spacer under the transmission mount bushing. This is where im at currently with the project, plan is to tackle the steering and finish the exhaust next. Ill make sure to post updates on fitment and modification that had to be made to fit it together as it comes. I have hundreds of pictures so if there's anything specific in mind, just let me know.
xirter

Postby Kenova » Fri May 14, 2021 7:46 pm

How much room do you have between the engine and firewall?
Maybe an over-all picture of the engine's location would be helpfull. I'm doing a similar swap this year. At the present I'm leaning towards making my own mounts. It seems to me that most swap kits have some sort of compromise (too high, too low, too far forward, too much angle.....).

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby xirter » Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 pm

I can't post images here, but the location of the engine is just about as close as you can get it without it hitting the firewall. Maybe fit 1 finger between the bellhousing and the firewall. Engine and transmission had to go in together to make it in
xirter

Postby xirter » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:21 pm

So just a little update, been working on getting the steering to clear properly while I wait on some other parts to show up. To clear the manifold, I shortened the factory steering column 6" by disassembling the column entirely, cutting 6" off the end on a lathe and re-creating the end so that the factory shaft bearing housing could index properly in the end, as it did factory. I shortened the inner shaft by removing the plastic rivets that hold it in place, slid the shaft 6" in further, and tack welded either side in place. Reassembled like factory. Next I'll be patching the factory steering column exit hole, and cutting in a new hole lower to drop the intermediate shaft to clear the manifold. Using borgeson u-joints, their firewall mount, shaft supports, and shaft to make a new intermediate shaft. Further down the line, I'm running into an issue where the passenger side inner tie rod end (where it connects to the center link) is hitting the oil pan (PowerByAce LS swap oil pan) by roughly 3/16 of an inch. Initially I attempted to use bump steer shims to lower the center link itself, however in order to get it to clear I had to shim it to the point where the tapered end wouldn't seat in the center link. Is anyone aware of any drop/adjustable/extended idler and pitman arms to lower the center link to clear? I thought about raising the motor itself but if there we're other ways to do it, that'd be ideal. Any ideas/recommendations would be appreciated!
xirter

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:04 pm

The original V8 pan was clearanced for the tie rods, also using the tie rods with the "Zerk" perpendicular to the shaft will help. I can't see the LS version being much/a lot different, but I have no 1st hand experience with that. V8 Monza.com has a page with SBC [gen 1] details maybe more, I haven't been through that part of the site in a while. While there is some early info on LS swaps, it appears that it is somewhat dated now. Harry
V8 Monza.com: http://www.v8monza.com/faq-index.htm
Also our Home Page has some info: http://h-body.org/main.shtml and: http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/index.html
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to Engine Tech