3800 Supercharged Astre

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 3800 Supercharged Astre

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:16 am

I haven't seen a video of that beast making vroom vroom noises. Am I missing something?

vegastre wrote:Thanks, not up to your production standards but hey, a fast video on YouTube is just too handy for me to document and further explain a rather unusual build.

I'm just a goober in the garage with a lot of spare time. At this point I've made more bad videos than good. To be honest, I still have a ton to learn. Thanks for the kind words though!
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby vegastre » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:19 am

page 7

This is basically the first start up. Sort of amazed it fired right up but that's the beauty of a computer. Visually, the coolest thing to watch in the video is the dual serpentine belt and all the pulleys spinning in coordination and of course the whine of the Blower. Everything looks busy and loud and rough around the edges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj76BgYsZ6g
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:30 pm

That powerplant package is perfect for these little cars. If I could come to terms with losing that sweet V8 rumble, I'd probably have a supercharged V6 or something similar like you have there. That is an awesome car!
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby vegastre » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:49 pm

That power plant package is perfect for these little cars.

Ya, if you go with the naturally aspirated 3800 motor it is actually a fairly straight forward swap if you have any fab skills at all. That said, the reason I went with the blower motor is my buddy and I had been discussing this swap for years so in short I had/have drawn up all the plans and drawings many years ago.

UPDATE: For those of you who have been following this build I will refresh you're memory. My last video showed the re-design and re-do of the air box at the firewall. I Have made good progress and will share a video at a later date.

When I started this current build I had planed on the SJ as more of a weekend cruiser but that has changed and this little car will now be my daily driver when finished. Let me be clear, time becomes amazingly short as you grow older and thus the SJ has scooted nearer to the top of my priority list because no one lives forever. :th:

What does all this mean? I will be cutting every corner I can to put this car on the road as safely and dependable as possible, fabrication will still be attentive but 'Cosmetics' will give over to function. So from here on out this is not going to be pretty as I once imagined.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby vegastre » Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm

UPDATE: 5-4-2021

For those of you...
who have been following this build? Not to worry I have been actively plugging away with what spare time I have. I’m old, so old that up till lately I was of the thought that you simply can’t teach an old dog anything new, boy was I wrong. My 1975 Pontiac SJ Safari Wagon that I have modified extensively inside and out to the point some die hard H body owners would say it looks more like a POS than an H-body but the simple fact is this is my “Little Piece of Heaven” LPH. It’s not a restoration as such but the car is vintage GM. Nothing on this car is newer than 1999.The Supercharged 3800 is a great motor but a difficult fit. Performance wise is exceptional in the SJ but at this point the computer OBD2 PCM is factory set. I have been teaching myself how to tune which is no simple task but I dare say fun. I have been looking at some Legacy six cylinder software to write to the PCM and disable Vats, codes, etc and then write a better performance tune. If anyone out there can give me some pointers tuning their 6 or LS it would be appreciated.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby vegastre » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:15 am

UPDATE WITH VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_GSIeF2R5c

I uploaded a short video of my latest project and I would suggest you watch it first to more completely understand my project on the SJ. Let me say this falls under the “knee bone connected to the thigh bone” kinda deal. That is, one begets the other starting with building an Air Box for the throttle body Supercharger. Which necessitated taking the dash, steering column, etc, to gain clear access.

Now, here’s where it deviates abit. Not sure how much time members have spent on their back up under the dash. GM put a heck of a wiring harnesses under a H-Body dash. Which is no fun. I have radically changed the SJ to the point I don’t need 70% of the wire under my dash. It’s a job, but I’m enjoying finally tidying up the “rats nest” I have created for myself over the years. I also have decided to move the PCM for the 3800 to a better location under the dash.

Subset to all that, I’m going to replace my floorboards. I will cut them out, make a pattern, cut new stainless sheet, tach them in place and take to it to the shop once it's running and have them welded up.

Finally I’ll save the Air Box for a video all I’s own when I finally finish it.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby GermanMonza » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:58 am

Hi Phil, just wanted to say this project is absolutely stunning!
GermanMonza

Postby vegastre » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Sorry about the slow response but my Laptop took a dive. I have followed you're Monza and I admire the amount of time and effort. Not to mention trying to find parts for these fifty year old antiques. I owned a 75 Monza 2+2 for a short time. Sold it to a guy in Australia.

I appreciate the complement, You have given me a chance to talk some more about it. It's one of those cars you either get or don't. Actually all H-Bodies fit that description. Rewiring and cleaning up the dash and the related "Rats Nest" Is, of course a bigger job than I had planed on but oh well, what's new? Anyway, with the Supercharger it drives like a Bat out of hell. On hard acceleration the SJ is hard to keep pointed in one direction. I have a pair of Drag Slicks. It will make for an absolutely fun Sleeper Performance kind of a deal.

More Thoughts: I wanted so much to just re-wire the whole car completely which would have been much easier. The problem was I wanted to keep the stock appearing interior which of course includes the dash. But, honestly I have always like the GT dash from the get go.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby vegastre » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:07 pm

THE HOLY HOOD

Recently and over the years Members have asked me why I cut so many holes in the hood. Well, on the surface it makes little if any sense, but when you own H-Bodies as long as I have all sorts of stuff creeps up that you perceive as an improvement to you're H-Body. Is or ain't falls under debate. I now ask you to reference a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-jQFiNrCM

H-Body hoods weigh about 59 pounds give or take depending on make and model. They are very heavy hoods for such a small car and cumbersome to open and close with a prop rod Etc. So, a number of years ago I came up with the idea to design up some gas shocks for the SJ to make opening and closing the hood a more enjoyable process. I wanted a very light, finger tip control, much like a fiberglass hood. So, I started drilling holes in the hood and didn't stop for two days LOL. All toll it came to a savings of about 11 pounds. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference especially when you figure in the Gas Shocks. It literally now has "Finger Tip Control". Do you need to cut holes in your hood? Absolutely not, but I highly recommend installing gas shocks to aid in opening and closing the hood.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby vegastre » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm

TEN YEARS AFTER

"A Decade Of Defeat"

It's hard to believe it's been ten years since I started this project and I have still not finished the SJ. It appears I like turning wrenches more than I like driving the car. Oh, I have good excuses, in fact, very good ones but in more simple terms I have deviated so far from the original plans it bears little explanation except the car mechanically, as it sits today, hardy resembles the SJ from ten years ago. It's a much better car. I know you're not going to read this journal so you will have to take my word on this. Presently I'm rewiring the entire car and repairing the floor boards.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby vegastre » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm

Opps!!!
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:05 pm

vegastre wrote:TEN YEARS AFTER

"A Decade Of Defeat"

It's hard to believe it's been ten years since I started this project and I have still not finished the SJ. It appears I like turning wrenches more than I like driving the car. Oh, I have good excuses, in fact, very good ones but in more simple terms I have deviated so far from the original plans it bears little explanation except the car mechanically, as it sits today, hardy resembles the SJ from ten years ago. It's a much better car. I know you're not going to read this journal so you will have to take my word on this. Presently I'm rewiring the entire car and repairing the floor boards.

Except I'm not actually working on mine :shock: :rolleyes: , but DO I ever get the whole if I had a mind to make up I could've been done by now thing. Wow do I get it, if the aftermarket and TV shows would stop distracting me with new ideas, I could D@MN well drive it :burn: ! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, well until a better one comes along. :D Oh and 38 years of waffling around for me! :bang: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:00 pm

Harry,
I have something to share... One of the main reasons I still like this site is you're input and informational comments. They have depth and understanding about what makes us all tick when it comes to H-Body's. These vehicles mean a serious considerable concern to myself and other members. Facebook H-Body owners,"God love'em" stumble along asking the same old tired questions not realizing these cars have soul which you readily share on a daily basis.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Well Thank You Phil I try to be on point, and funny when appropriate, I too have a pretty serious H-Body affliction. Something the long-timers here all seem to share. You don't hang on to a car for 30+ years unless it has a deep rooted... uhm, connection! Thank You Again Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:09 pm

Project Update:
Today in Dallas it's 82 degrees! This gave me the excuse to work on the SJ. I of course, made a Video but first I'll fill in some details. I have moved the ECM from the engine compartment to the Passenger compartment. Not an easy job but it had to be done because the ECM was getting flooded The bonus was it cleaned up the right side fender area. The ECM is the last item to hold up putting everything back in the Passenger compartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxK9cVD28PY

Today the 28th I finished up the install of the ECM. Looks good, all wired and ready to go. Sorry, The video is rather boring this time LOL
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Previous

Return to Project Journals