Astre-mutt 76 Astre Panel Wagon

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Astre-mutt 76 Astre Panel Wagon

Postby Astre-mutt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Been meaning to do this for a while now, but all my original pics where to big to down load. Can re-size now, so I can start in the beginning. I found my car on eBay in Dec. 07. I was looking for a good buy on a truck with no luck. Then found a Astre and said hey! (ya I'm a poet, don't you now it) Seriously I wasn't looking for a car like this, but I know a deal when I see it. The bidding was at $850 with a By it now price of $2200. The car was listed as a good running 4.3L V6 Th350 Safari wagon with a Vega panel conversion, and almost rust free. From what I have seen $2200 for a rust free roller was a good price, but a running car? Also it was in my state. Besides I've always wanted a 71-73 Panel wagon ever since I was 15. In 75 I say one in a car mag that was black, with a duel turbo small block sitting under the stock hood. It had N 50 Mickey Thompsons tuck under the rear fenders, and skins in the front rapped around Centerline rims. That car was so simple, yet so f****n mean. So when I saw the Astre (flash back). Not the same car body style, but as good looking to me. I thought about it for a day, then made a call to the owner. I liked what he said, and toiled him I wanted to buy the car. Found out later I beat a guy from Florida who called 2 minutes after me.

So below is two pics. One of the day I was bring the car home. The other is the latest version of where I'm going. I thought I would accusingly past a story on something that I think could be useful to other people, or when I just want to show off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Re: Astre-mutt 76 Astre Panel Wagon

Postby patrick1151 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 am

You have one very sweet wagon. Stop giving me ideas of what my Astre wagon could look like. Where did you get that chin spoiler from? I like it.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby Astre-mutt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:01 pm

patrick1151 wrote:You have one very sweet wagon. Stop giving me ideas of what my Astre wagon could look like. Where did you get that chin spoiler from? I like it.

I've seen two chin spoilers of this style. I'm not sure who designed mine, but the other one is made by Motion Performance. I paid $90 for mine on eBay. I've seen a couple of the Motion spoilers on eBay. The Motions sold for between $100 and $125, but the quality looks better. Also the Motion looks a little better too.

One thing that happen to mine is, after I installed it I discovered the mounting bolts where causing cracks in my lower valance. The spoiler came with little screws. I chose to us stainless steel bolts, with rubber washers, and self locking nuts. I fix the problem by making two braces to help support the spoiler at speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby NixVegaGT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Smart idea for the air dam. I'm betting that will increase flow through the radiator too. Good stuff.
I love the use of the Punisher skull. Bitchin'

Let us know where and when you find the hood scoop. Nice. Keep it up bro.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Astre-mutt » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks Nic, I've had the hood scoop for sometime now. I think it really sets off the look of the car. As far as the sheet metal work goes, I'm sure it helps air flow to the radiator. I think the air is still being restricted by the grill size. I figured the grill area as being 180 square inches total. The radiator core is 315 square inches, minus the tubes and cooling fins. I only see two options to improve air flow. One would be to modify a fiberglass bumper to allow more air, and eliminate the bumper springs. But the way the SOB's drive around here that's not a option. The other would be to move the turn signals down to the openings in the air damn. This will add an additional 38 square inches. Making a total of 218 square inches.

This is a pic of what it mite look like.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby bill1978v8 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Is that a skull on the side of your fender? Cool! Do you have any pics from a distance of your car like a side view?

Bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Astre-mutt » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 pm

Sure Bill, Like Nic said it's the skull from the Punisher comics, and movie. (he drove a Pontiac you know) I got them on eBay for under $10. I didn't like em very much when I first put them on. I was about to take them off after a couple of days, when I remembered I had some other decals I wasn't using. When I put them together I thought they looked a lot better. (I think it looks kinda military) In fact that's my Avatar. I toke a pic of it at night without a flash. The dark lines are the shadows of a chain link fence, and a street light. Then I just kept distorting the colors with my computer. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep any of my decals. When the car was just plain black, it kinda looked like it came from the factory that way.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby patrick1151 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks for the ebay link to that chin spoiler, I just won it for $26. Hopefully it is as advertised.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby Astre-mutt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Spring time, and it's time to start some of the changes Iv'e been planing to do the car. I don't have the money to redo the V6 like I planed. So I thought I would do the cosmetics, and small stuff.

This winter I modified my air cleaner. I had a Oval air cleaner that stuck halfway threw the hood. So it was getting cool air from the front, and in the rear hot air from the engine compartment. To get more cold air I took a design from the A/C Cobra guys. I used a 1.5" aluminum flat stock, and the oval base to make a fresh air intake. The filter is much smaller, but it's all cool air now.
007.JPG

To day I finished my front blackout treatment. Here is a before & after.
011.JPG

002.JPG
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:04 am

nice ride

love the pontiac nose , but after tomorrow , you better remove it and hide it in a safe some where , lol
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Astre-mutt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Thought I would post some pics of the piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet metal I used to seal the area from the fascia, to the radiator support. It also work great for mounting the radiator. This thing is super simple, and works great.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Scott, I like the aluminum sheet idea but do you think it extends to far forward? Maybe if you cut it back alittle and made an air dam more air would be forced through the radiator? Maybe the chin spoiler would defeat the porpous of an air dam? I do like the look of the larger grill opening though.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Astre-mutt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:18 am

Matt, it's the best thing for the air dam I have now. The air dam blocks some of the air that was going under the car, plus helps get more air through the grill. The problem I had was the extra air going through the grill was just rolling back behind the air dam, instead of going through the radiator. If I had it to do again, I would have just put a sheet metal chin spoiler under the radiator. (like the third gen Camaro) But what can I say, that Air Dam looks so damn cool!!! It fits the look of the front perfectly.

By the way Matt, I know I'm using the terms Chine spoiler & Air Dam differently then you but that's the way I know them. Not sure if it's right or not. The way I looked at it: the 1st gen Camaro had a front spoiler, 2nd gen Camaro had a Air Dam, 3rd gen Camaro had a Chin spoiler.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby megavega » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:24 am

Hi Scott, I like the blacked out front, i have a idea I think would help make the front even better looking, its just a thought, but what about removing those stock turn signals from the grille and placing 82-93 s10 turn signals into the bumper bottom below the rubber trim, they are a flush mount turn signal lens long and skinny, would really clean up the front end, then place driving lights in the air duct holes in chin spoiler. Again,just a thought, I like what you did.

maybe like this??
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Astre-mutt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 am

megavega, I've been toying with some ideas like that. (look up at the forth pic from the top of this page) I have actually bout round LED turn signal to mount in the air dam, but decide against it for now. (I didn't like the quality of them) I've been looking for ways to open the front for more air. My latest idea is a way to make slit bumper setup. So far I have two problem with the idea. One is I don't want to cut my stock bumper up just in case it doesn't look good. Two, people around here drive like dumb asses!
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Next

Return to Project Journals