The Rocket Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rocket Project

Postby rocketride » Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 pm

I guess it's time that I should start my journal since I've been working on my car off and on for over a year now. :lol:

I started by doing the s10 front end conversion using Bob Gumm's adapters.
New s10 rotors, bearings and dust shields, lca bushings, uca concentric bushings, '76 Nova brake hoses, KYB 2 front shocks, sway bar bushings and end links.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Re: The Rocket Project

Postby rocketride » Mon May 25, 2009 12:39 pm

I cut out the rear fender wells getting ready to back half and mini tub. I cut out enough to mount bigger tires later if I want. I'll start out with 295/50-15's on 10X15 Centerlines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rocketride

Postby rocketride » Mon May 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I finally got the engine and transmission dropped in last month.
30 over 350
Lunati Voodoo cam and lifter kit 60102LK :
Lift: .468''/.489 ''
Duration: 262°/268°
RPM Range: 1400-5800
Weiand Stealth intake
Carter 625 AFB carb
Hooker 2135 headers
rocketride

Postby rocketride » Mon May 25, 2009 1:00 pm

I got the headers and mini starter put on yesterday and am going to try and get the carb rebuilt and mounted today.
rocketride

Postby Yenkoboy » Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

I love the Mini Tub cars, Keep us updated with your Mini Tub with pics.

Good luck with your project. Mark
72 GT Vega aka "Little Evel" 22K Miles V6 3.8 T5 5 speed and 7.5 4.10 Posi
72 GT Vega aka " Little Evel II (Jegster Chassis)
Yenkoboy

Postby 77vegaproject » Thu May 28, 2009 12:15 pm

how hard is it to mini tub a vega? do you have to reinforce the spring and shock mounts?
77vegaproject

Postby rocketride » Thu May 28, 2009 9:25 pm

77vegaproject wrote:how hard is it to mini tub a vega? do you have to reinforce the spring and shock mounts?

I'm not really the one you need to be asking this question to. Mine is going to be more of a back half than just a mini tube. I ended up cutting out the lower control arm and upper spring mounts. It really depends on how wide a tire you want to use if you able to use your stock rear suspension or not.
Check out speedphreake's post here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27198. He would probably better at answering your question.

Jon
rocketride

Postby rocketride » Sat May 14, 2011 3:59 pm

WOW. I can't believe it's been two years since I've posted here. I guess that's what happens when you don't have the money to do anything. :bang:
I did finally get the front end back together with the new ferrules in place (Thanks, John). I put it on the floor (first time in three years) to get an idea on ride height and to start making plans for building my rear sub-frame. I even washed three years of dust off of it to take pictures. :lol: I put the rear tires under it so I could get a good measurement for rear end width too. I'll start on the rear end as soon as I get a hold of some tubing and axles.
The front end looks a little high to me though. I have around 4 1/2" from the fender opening to the top of the tire. I still have to install the radiator, A/C compressor, alternator, P/S pump, R & P, belts, hoses and all the fluids so I'm not sure how much it might drop it if any.
rocketride

Postby cjbiagi » Sat May 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Looks like it is coming along nicely. I don't think adding those few items you mentioned is going to make much difference as far as the front end height goes. Yeah, it does look way high. Did it sit like that before? I assume you have the stock springs in there? As a point of reference I have about two fingers clearance between the top of the tire and the fender lip, this is with the stock V8 springs and 215//60/14 tires.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat May 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Did you tighten the lower control arms with the arms hanging or with it on the ground at ride height?
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby cjbiagi » Sat May 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Good point, if you used rubber bushings the control arms bolts should be tightened with the car at normal ride height. If you tightened everything up with the suspension unloaded you have put the rubber bushings in a severe bind (twist) and that could be hanging the suspension up. If they are poly bushings it doesn't matter as they will simply pivot in the shell.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rocketride » Sat May 14, 2011 11:44 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Looks like it is coming along nicely. I don't think adding those few items you mentioned is going to make much difference as far as the front end height goes. Yeah, it does look way high. Did it sit like that before? I assume you have the stock springs in there? As a point of reference I have about two fingers clearance between the top of the tire and the fender lip, this is with the stock V8 springs and 215//60/14 tires.

Thanks Clyde. I didn't think there would be enough weight to make any difference ether. It's been so long since it had the 13's on it and anything under the hood I've forgotten how it sat before. Stock V6 W/ A/C springs and rubber bushings.

gerbsinmd wrote:Did you tighten the lower control arms with the arms hanging or with it on the ground at ride height?

Bolts were left loose. Maybe not loose enough...........I just went out to the garage and put my 175 lbs. on the front bumper, bounced up and down a few times to no avail. I'll get up under it tomorrow and recheck the bolts to make sure that they are loose enough.

Jon
rocketride

Postby rocketride » Sun May 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Well the nuts were just hand tight. I got on the bumper again and bounced it a little more vigorously and still no luck. Now I'm stumped.

Jon
rocketride

Postby rocketride » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:22 pm

WOW! I cant belive its been 11 years since I last posted on my project.
I still don't have it running yet. I have been working on it again. Getting close to having the rear end and disc breaks finished up.
rocketride

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Looks like your calipers are too far away from rotor?
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Project Journals