My Yellow 77 Astre Formula Saga.

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Yellow 77 Astre Formula Saga.

Postby robsta11111 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Prayers sent to you and yours
a true hot rodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick, that the very act of pressing the throttle, would result in instant death
robsta11111

Postby cammerjeff » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Unfortunatly all my Family distractions are past, I lost my father last July, and my mother on Valinetines Day. But at least my Oldest Sister is doing well and seems to be in remission, Fingers Crossed. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am Finally mentally able to start working in the shop again.

Well believe it or not I actually worked on the Astre Today! Started removing the original axle to replace it with the Dana 44. It helped that I sold a Car, and my buddy that I was "storing" a car for until his divorce was Final came and picked it up last week. So I was able to unbury the Astre, and move it to an area I could actually remove the axle. I am amazed at the condition of the body on this car, and it still had the Spiral rear shock installed.
All I really got done was Jack the car up, remove the Torque arm, rear shock, and springs, and soak all the rear suspension hardware with penetrating Oil. Hopefully Tuesday I will get the axle actually out. And I will take some pic's. Thanks to JD Race for wanting to buy the original axle to prod me into action.
Then I will need to start cleaning up the underside of the chassis, and start installing all the new Parts, adjustable control arms, and panhard bar. And decide on what shocks to actually run on this car. Progress who would have thought it.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Jeff, :th: Now your making me "Look Bad" and I have to get the axle out of my '80 and seriously consider the removal of the rest of what is left. You and Jim are trying to make me do something I can tell! Are Ron, Fred, Zeke, and Nick in on this too? They have been breaking the family jewels on me about this (and if just one of you start singing "Rhinestone Cowboy" I swear .....). Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:37 pm

I am Finally mentally able to start working in the shop again.

Good to have you back,
Time and life moves forward while these Pontiacs seam frozen in time. Luckily we can visit them at our leisure. So, your putting a narrowed four link or torque arm Dana in the Astre?
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:55 pm

vegastre wrote:
I am Finally mentally able to start working in the shop again.

Good to have you back,
Time and life moves forward while these Pontiacs seam frozen in time. Luckily we can visit them at our leisure. So, your putting a narrowed four link or torque arm Dana in the Astre?

It is a Dana 44 Modified for a Torque arm, with S-10 Front Disc's. I still have to work out a parking brake. But that will probably wait until after the car has seen the street again!

Well I did finish removing the rear axle today, and marvel at how solid this car is, I got very lucky with this car, even my mostly rust free 78 Sunbird Wagon is a Bucket compared to this car. I still have to clean all the dust, glass bead, and surface rust off the underside, but even the spare tire well is in great shape.
Most of the discoloration is a combination of the original Brown Primer, original undercoating, and red sand from Texas. But there is some minor surface rust lurking, and I found 1 small dime sized Hole in the right rear 1/4 extension I will have to repair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff R

cammerjeff

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:59 pm

just a couple more shots of the axle actually out of the car, and I liked the view over the back of the Astre with my 69 Sprint in the Pack Ground. You would think my Wife's Favorate color was Yellow or something!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff R

cammerjeff

Postby astreformula77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Almost six years later now, what happened to this beautiful project, Jeff? I've been doing a little research for an Astre Formula of mine, and your posts have been a great wealth of knowledge, so thank you for that!
astreformula77

Postby DarthVega » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Nice Astre!
[youtube][/youtube]Darth Vega
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cammerjeff » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Hard to believe its been over 6 years sense I have touched the Astre! But I was forced to undig it and move it around to start assembling my new 4 post lift. I got distracted by the V8 Solstice and time slipped away. But now that it is uncovered and I hopefully will have the 231 V6 frame plates soon. I can get back at it.
Jeff R

cammerjeff

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:33 pm

You haven't even updated your fleet on your signature ,either... :lol:

Doug in P.R. 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby vegastre » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:18 am

JEFF,
I hope you know you hold Hero status when it comes to Pontiac's. Not to worry, A six year lay off on the Formula is nothing. I count my project lay offs in decades.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:24 am

Thanks for the encourgment! Well after the unexpected purchase of the 67 Sprint Firebird I have been chasing for over 20 years! I had to do something to get another car inside for the winter, as it would not survive a MI winter in the condition it is in, and the Mallett Solstice is also to nice to sit outside even covered up (also not 100% weather proof.) I had originally planned on putting up a tall 2 car garage last summer, but with the increase in the price of materials that was not possible. So after some quick (and not so accurate) measuring I found a 4 post portable lift that would fit in my current garage and allow for stacking 2 cars. It just works, even though I forgot to add in the 8" thickness of the lift itself in the calculations! But they just fit, but I can not have the roof up on the Solstice. I had to shuffle the Astre into the corner, and work around my fathers old 78 Catalina Safari, but it all just fits. Got it done about 2 hours before the 2" of snow fell last Friday. Now I have to find time and space for all the clutter I created rushing to move things around!
Jeff R

cammerjeff

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:58 pm

As Phil says 6 years is nothing, I haven't done anything substantial (except spend money) in decades either, as for building costs they to will normalize [eventually] to a new more painful normal but that will at least make it possible to budget for that new triple stack [3 high] side by side + work space garage you [we all] need LOL! With the border restrictions easing up, give me a shout the next time you are cutting through Windsor or the next time I'm up near you we will have to get together it has been way too long ! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 am

unexpected purchase of the 67 Sprint Firebird

Jeffers,
For the record that is a incredible purchase. Among us Pontiac "Die Hard" the Sprint is Holy Grail territory. To help out those not familiar with this Pontiac model might I suggest a little trip over to "Jay Leno's Garage".His attitude and reverence for the car shows in this beautiful restoration of a '68 Sprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gWSWH053Y

Of course the H-Body shares the John Delorean connection (excuse my pun) as Marketing genius wrapped around early muscle car Pontiac's. Let me guess? after 20 years of searching for one it just fell into you're lap. Have you decoded it's birth certificate?
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Previous

Return to Project Journals