Motion clone

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Motion clone

Postby Newoldguy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:05 pm

It’s nice to open all the old parts and put them in use. I’m sure there are man cave parts collectors cringing at the moment. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newoldguy

Postby Newoldguy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:09 pm

Added the Moroso remote filter kit so I can use the early style Fram filters. Found a case of these things a few years ago and plan on putting them to use. Hoses are held in place with adal clamps without the rubber. Going to Plasti-dip all the clamps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newoldguy

Postby Newoldguy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Since the radiator is mounted under the core support and the inlet is lower than the intake, I added a Moroso full neck. The cap is from the GM, Vega recovery tank kit. The two sending units are for the factory GT gauge and the control for the electric fans. Also added the low coolant level kit.
Newoldguy

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:34 pm

Good to see you back and thanks for posting the updates.
Smiley

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:54 pm

Thank you.
The administrator got my old account set up again.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:10 pm

:th: :dance:
Smiley

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Got the steering shaft figured out.
Made a tool for holding the shaft in its proper position while I fabricate the support bearing. It will also double to hold the shaft when and if the joints have to be changed or any maintenance performed. The bracket slides onto the upper steering box bolt and is held in place with a nut. I’m going to add it to my tool kit to keep in the car.
Unfortunately, I had to modify the header tube a little, but it actually fits better now. Amazing the difference changing those cylinder heads made to the angle of the headers. Has to do a little modification to the collectors.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:18 pm

Just finished this piece. Not being able to find a Monza fork cover, I decided to modify the Vega piece. All I had to do was add three tabs and weld up a couple of holes. After some hammer and dolly work, it fits pretty good. Not a Monza piece, but it should pass inspection.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23 am

3:00 am and I’m calling it a night.
The steering box had a small catch in it. Turned out to be a small place on the pitman gear. Luckily, there was a nos gear put back. The grease looked like it came over on the Mayflower. Ordered the seals and found a nos bearing on EBay. The GM assembly manual states the side cover bearing is only offered with the side cover as one unit. All the bearings seem to be fine. Very smooth operation, but going to replace everything I can while it’s apart, as long as they are GM parts.
After blasting the housing and some other pieces, everything is ready to reassemble. I dipped all the steel parts in Metal Rescue. Gives it a pretty good new cast look. Cleaned the aluminum pieces and will flat clear everything when it’s back together.
I also dipped the clutch fork cover modified for the Monza bellhousing. None of this looks perfect, but really like the overall finish of the parts.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:45 pm

Everything is semigloss cleared. I believe it looks better than cast paint
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Got lucky and it matches the mag case on the transmission.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:08 pm

I picked up a nos clutch cable and the Bakelite bushing immediately crumbled when I took it out of the box. So I used some aluminum stock and hacked out a new one.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am

Steering box installed and intermediate shaft finally done. I modified a 4 cylinder motor mount to provide placement of the steering shaft bearing. This worked out great as it provides a vertical adjustment and I can shim the motor mount plate for side adjustment.
I also opted for the splined joint with a rubber isolator.
Yes, I will add header wrap in the appropriate areas to prevent heat from getting to the rubber.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:32 am

Added a flat to bottom side of the pan for added steering link clearance.
Also found a nos Monza clutch cable and replaced the Vega cable. Needed to get the cable off the headers so I made a strap to hold the cable away. I’ll phosphate coat it and Plasti-dip the flat portion. The cable functions great and the pedal action is smooth with no catches.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue May 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Got the reducers for the exhaust. I’ll be able to use 45 degree bends and have the header mufflers run parallel with the drivetrain. Probably will use the Porter shortys.
Last edited by Wizeguyrc on Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wizeguyrc

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals