FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:10 am

~ Both headlight bulbs have the low beam circuit open, so they got blown somehow. I have tested with another bulb and the low beams DO work now.
~ Brake lights, BOTH, work now...don't know how I fixed it.
~ All lighting seems to operate normally now.
~ Must re-visit the horn...not working...was working before turn signal changeout.
~ We have power at the coil wire and power on the starter wire.
~ I suppose we are now ready to insert the distributor shaft and go forward with prepping the engine for first start up...after securing the instrument cluster and dash cap.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:02 am

Sounds like you had multiple issues, progress is good :th:

Here's some pics of the horn button assy, the flex disk goes convex side up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:27 am

~ Thanks for the info on the curved disk..convex-up..I'll double check it. I know the little black pigtail wire is an issue. I got to mashing around on the button in different spots and I was able to get the horn to blow.
~ I think I will enjoy the amber LED's and the little side marker LED's.
~ I tidy'd up the interior of the car of clipped zip ties and broken glass fuses , beer bottle tops and cigarette butts, and put away all the tools and cleared the worktable for the next and continuing saga of: Will This Project Ever Be Completed?
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm

ONE STEP FORWARD-TWO (or 3) STEPS BACK[b][/b]
~ Lost the E-flashers for some reason..
~ Lost the brake light indicator on the dash.
~ Discovered 12v on the coil wire-key off...0v with key on...-this should be fun.
~ 8v displaying on the volt gauge- key on...blower running on its lowest speed normally...checked that voltage while the fan was running-9.5v
.................................................................................................................^ is this normal?
~ Read 14K ohms between the negative post and the the cable...not sure what that means......diving back under the steering wheel again tomorrow. Not having seats installed helps
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:53 am

~ Clock working, cigarette lighter working, ALL turn signals and brake lights are working, radio works, dome light works, E-flashers work, E-fan works, wipers work.
~ No reverse back up lights..yet, No E-Brake light on dash, horn button needs revisiting.
~ We figured that the 8 volts we were reading was through the alternators voltage regulator while NOT spinning. We hope for 12 volts when the engine starts.
~ We are next going to dive into the oil pressure switch/purple wire issue to see if she is almost ready to fire up. I am studying the hand drawing of that circuit marked as- Zeke-2017. This drawing does not show the seat belt interlock system which may become a problem as we move forward.
~ There are 2 pink wires that get power on ignition one with black stripe that probably used to go to to the seats that remain unconnected as well as a green wire that ...since the harness originally was for an automatic is probably for the light bulb at the console to indicate the drive mode.
~ We connected a temporary oil pressure gauge under the hood.
~ I actually heard the key reminder buzzer begin to work when wiggling the key....the ignition switch is original.
~ To find the issue with the intermittent brake lights and E-flasher, we discovered loose fitting fuse holder at the fuse box. Took a small file and refreshed each fuse holder spade.
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:03 am

A volt meter in the car should show within a half volt of @ battery voltage. Forget the seat belt interlock crap
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 am

~ Discovered bad.."new" never used..oil pressure sending unit. Might have been bad, ordered one fr. local parts house, it came in with 2 terminals not 3, store clerk said he may have one with three...he looks up one for a Chevelle or some other 3 terminal chevy. When we tested the circuitry, things pointed to a bad switch. I took a trip out to the boneyard where several dying H-Bodies lie resting in peace, (Oh a very salvageable '72 Vega Wagon.. I saw out there)..I clipped a nice heavy duty oil switch connector out of the harness on the wagon, couldn't get to the switch, so I went to a different H-body, another 72 and got the oil press. switch out of it.
~ Tested the switch and found that it read ohms while the "new" one did not. Installed it and there is ignition to the start solenoid now....it clicks with the key turned to start.
~ The seat belt interlock crap IS part of the problem...forgetting it wasn't an option, we had to deal with it as we had to jump out the purple wire in the override relay thats mounted to the bay sidewall.
...I have come across the instructions on what wires to cut and which wires to connect to remove or disable the seat belt interlock circuitry. I think it is out of a Chilton MAnual. I will double check and post the text for people to read.
~ Installing oil filter, 10-40 plus zinc additive, re-visiting the fuel lines, studying exhaust set-ups and weighing options on single or dual , dump ahead or behind wheels, dump on each side or both on same side.
74_Vega_GT

Postby chevyart » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:47 am

neil did you wear your snake bite proof boots when you went into the junkyard?. sure wish i was down there to tour that junkyard. Art in NY
chevyart

Postby zeke » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:54 pm

Seat belt interlock will just be a set of relay contacts in series with the neutral safety switch, jump the purple wires together and forget about it. I think I rem reading that the relay is on the firewall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:02 am

Thanks Chris. We jumpered the reset and have power to the solenoid now.
~ We are revisiting the fuel lines today and installing the oil filter, and the oil. Using a drill to spin the oil pump to pressurize the oil galleys.
~ We will install the distributor this week and obtain temporary mufflers for the flex pipes.
~ Looks like we will be starting this engine soon....My guru is off of his regular job all week and available to help.
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:57 pm

No problem 74_Vega_GT. Can you post some pics of it? Never seen one
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:42 pm

~ Pictures of the relay I assume? OK, sure , NP.
~ Went to a muffler shop and asked if they had a pair of discarded mufflers 1 in 1 out, 2.25 inlet and they went and looked and came back with a pair of 13 inch Flowmasters-3 chambers we think. They had cut the inlet so close to both mufflers that we had to clean up their angled cut and weld a pipe onto the inlet side to fix it. The exit side , we added a short length of pipe. The welds on the stainless mufflers were a little rusty so we cleaned them up and painted with high temp rattle can black.
~ We connected the temporary flex pipes to the mufflers and wired them up temporarily with bailing wire.
~ We secured the wobbly dipstick tube which is on the passenger side, and angled it toward the rear and fabricated a small stand off bracket to hole it.
~ Added a half bottle of zinc treatment to 5qts of oil and installed. Fitted the oil filter boss with a short threaded "pipe" so there was something to screw the oil filter onto and installed the oil filter.
~ Inserted a rod into the oil pump slot and used a drill to pump up oil pressure...got 30 lbs. Heard the fuel pump kick in with the key on.
~ We found the exhaust stroke TDC and lined up the distributor shaft slot with the slot in the oil pump and installed the distributor.
~ Relocated fuel pressure gauge to get better swing out of the distributor....Vaccum advance in the way.
~ Used the brown wire marked "Tach" to the tach position on the Excel distributor and connected the coil wire.
~ Gapped and installed all 6 plugs.
~ Ran the plug wires. Temporarily secured any low hanging wiring that was not in a loom yet...off of the manifolds.
~ Added 3 gallons fuel....No start...dry Carb - 500 Eddie..primed carb...
~ She started up...found fuel leak at firewall fuel connection...fixed it.
~ Started again..."first bump too"...We let it run about 6 min...Electric fan kikked on...check
~ Ran for about 20 minutes more ...she was running smoothe, we let it idle and didn't tach it up more than maybe 1500 only for a second. Idled smoothe.
~ Noticed water puddling on the intake manifold..."She's Sprung a Leak Captain!"...a rubber connecting sleve for the water split a seam..should be an easy fix...Hmmm...
~ Shut her down.
~ Tachometer was NOT accurate...as we lowered the RPM's to my guess around 700 or 800 and the tach still displayed 1000 or better. Whe we tached up the motor , I didn't notice a swing response.
~ I am not sure I can trust the temp sending unit or the gauge yet....it was reading around 165 with the fan running after 20 minutes of idling.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:27 pm

~ We thought the water leak was the thermostat rubber gasket around the rim of the t-stat. That did not fix it, removed the "rim gasket" from around the t-stat and used the old school gasket and gray gasket maker for the housing. That stopped the leak.
~ Tightened the fuel pressure gauge in the fuel line and stopped the drip drip of fuel.
~ Found the second tachometer (remember the one I had misplaced and had to get a second one calibrated for V6?) and compared readings of the two....after the corroded tach connector terminals were cleaned, they both read the same..used bulb grease to re-connect. We think the tach is accurate now.
~ Used a handheld temp gun to the radiator body and (180F-186F) and compared the readings to the temp gauge on the dash...very similar we think.
~ She has a slight cough, we think it's tight valve not covid. We let her run for a good half hour.
~ Attempted to try out the clutch and use reverse to get it back into the garage but we have not yet filled or bled the hydraulic throw out bearing system.
~ We already intend , after more running time, to pull the valve covers and check out the valve adjustments to make sure all are correct. This motor was bought as a re-built 4.3 with an RV cam and was going to be used on an airboat.
~ Alternator voltage regulator fried, we shut it down.. were getting 14.5v on the big cable telling us that the alt. is stuck in charge mode.. the 4-pin connector we snatched out just as it was beginning to ignite...After restarting, I read 14.5 on one of the small wires and 12.5 on another. I suppose there is no reason for the 14.5 to be returning to the alt. by way of the plug....so...thats kinda where we're at.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:15 am

~ The Tuff-Stuff chrome alternator was wired using the PDF schematic provided on their website. The schematic showed the connector plug "L" being connected to the battery. The battery is receiving the 14.5...if you feed it back to the plug like their schematic shows, then I am not surprised that we fried the regulator. The "L" pin melted out of the connector. Their warranty expired a year after I bought it and seems to exclude coverage for everything that can go wrong with the alternator except ..if the pulley splits it seems. The voltage regulator component of the alternator, upon removing the plastic cover, shows that it is riveted in.
~ I am taking it to an old school alternator/starter repair shop to see if it can be fixed this morning.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 pm

~ Got the alternator back with a new regulator, one day service, 40 buks..installed it and connected properly and read 14.5 out.
~ Got the hydraulic master to bleed, still not a stiff pedal by any means, clutch not releasing, may need furthur bleeding or may need more shims which means separating the transmission.
~ Observed a wobble in the harmonic balancer, pulley has no wobble, we're gonna swap it out with a different harmonic balancer from the other 4.3 that I have. Which of course means possibly removing the radiator and fan setup.
~ Hard to get used to the sound of the high torque starter...very un-Vega-like. The Flowmasters sound great, we made a plate to cover an exhaust port on the manifold that we need to make a new gasket for, it's leaking a bit.
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals