1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat May 22, 2021 10:23 am

I worried about what the car looked like under the rotisserie mounts. It had been four years since I saw these spots. Fortunately, they were not all that bad so maybe I cleaned them a bit before mounting the car on the rotisseries?

Bm1.jpg

I bought some two part epoxy in a rattle can. Stuff was expensive at $28 a can but I wanted something better than a basic rattle can primer.

BM2.jpg

I had bought a can of color matched body color paint back when I was painting the engine compartment. I used that to paint the spots. Not that they'll ever be seen as they'll be covered by the bumper brackets.

BM3.jpg

I tossed on the powder coated bumper brackets with the original hardware which was cadmium plated. I still find hardware I forgot to send for plating but, fortunately, all of this was plated. Again...not that most if it will ever be seen. The bumper shock here was blasted clean. They are the next project I've started. I will blast them all and paint them gloss black as they were new. I only know they were gloss black because there was an NOS one on eBay for $105 and I noted it was gloss black. These are not available new so its either hunt four NOS replacements or refurbish them. Assuming they would be $100 each for NOS (if you could find them) the refurbishment route makes the most sense.

bm4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby zeke » Sat May 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Page 19 :dance:

Looking great man, congrats on the back on the ground status. :th: :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Sun May 23, 2021 8:17 am

What Chris said, Kevin! Looking SWEET!! As for the colour of your bumper mounts I doubt they were Gloss [GM rarely if ever used gloss out of view] they were more likely "Satin" still a little shine but subdued so as not to reflect and be seen. That is available in a spray can as, Satin, and also very close/same "Bumper/Trim Black", & "Chassis Black" paints if you want to try them out for your eye. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun May 23, 2021 10:48 am

Monza Harry wrote:What Chris said, Kevin! Looking SWEET!! As for the colour of your bumper mounts I doubt they were Gloss [GM rarely if ever used gloss out of view] they were more likely "Satin" still a little shine but subdued so as not to reflect and be seen. That is available in a spray can as, Satin, and also very close/same "Bumper/Trim Black", & "Chassis Black" paints if you want to try them out for your eye. Harry

Harry, that is what I would have thought too but look at this NOS one on eBay. Glossy...

shock.jpg
shock2.jpg

At the end of the day....no one will see the damn things so I could have painted them neon green. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon May 24, 2021 8:21 am

Finished up the old bumper shocks. This job took too long because the compressor and blaster weren't real cooperative.

The original rear bumper shocks off the Formula were nearly rusted through on the casings. Fortunately, I had the fronts off of the old red Sunbird. These are all the same part number (front and rear) and you just need to rotate the mounting plate to the needed orientation....with a lot of effort.

bs1.jpg

The blast cabinet worked pretty good for one a day. After one, the air was too saturated to really blast effectively. I need a bigger compressor and a water mitigation system.

bs2.jpg

I blasted the front two no problem but these rears were a little more corroded. I soaked the end in ospho for 12+ hours. The rust was gone and most of the paint wiped off. It cut the blasting time significantly too.

bs3.jpg

Once they were all cleaned, I primed them. The fronts in the left over two part epoxy and the rears in self etching primer.

bs4.jpg

A couple coats of gloss black and they looked like new.

bs5.jpg

I hung one on the front but didn't tighten it down. I think I will box these up until I am ready to reassemble the front just so I don't constantly snag myself on them.

bs6.jpg

I didn't really want to spend nearly a week on these but they needed refurbishment for sure. New are not available. One NOS one on eBay is $105 delivered. If I could have picked up FOUR NOS for $105 I would have considered it. I am not paying $100 each for them. :lol:
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon May 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Who else details tie rods?! :lol: Turns out a few of us do this as I posted it on Facebook and got a number of responses.

I just replaced these on my other Sunbird last year and they just have a touch of rust starting on them. I figured painting these would make them hold up better. The were degreased with brake clean and then I taped of the boots and studs.

tr1.jpg

Then they got a couple coats of self etching primer.

tr2.jpg

Followed by a couple coats of Duplicolor cast iron gray. I did the same to the pitman arm, idler arm, and centerlink earlier. I like how it looks like the natural finish but it is protected.

TR3.jpg

I need to find more little projects to keep me moving. Next BIG project is to work on the fiberglass tail panel.

TP1.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Tue May 25, 2021 4:06 pm

Kevin I think I would divide the tail panel into a few smaller jobs as it is usually the bigger jobs that can derail these long(er) projects [look at my slower than Glacial project as an example :bang: :oops: ] ie: finish/modify any clips/mounts, make the holes for lights license plate clips, etc., start blocking, finish blocking, [at least one year after creation to allow any shrinkage (of the fiberglass) that may appear, yours is, or real close to there as I recall] then test mount, prime and paint. [Even dividing these into Right Half/Left Half if required/desired] Those other little projects [you think you need to search out] will reveal themselves as you progress, and hold a few of them in "Queue" as they are great for the "I only have an hour" times in our lives that will throw a monkey wrench in our otherwise grandiose best laid plans, better to have a few lined up to foil the "Noid" I think anyways. Oh and this hasn't helped me at all FYI great plan if I actually tried it I'm sure! :lol: :rolleyes: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 pm

I started doing some rough fitting of the fiberglass tail panel. The flanges on the two sides were about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider than the original and needed some trimming. I used a Dremel with a spiral cutting bit to do the trimming. It did a pretty decent job but it was a bit of a slow process. I guess that is a good thing so you don't hack too much off at a time.

After trimming a bit, it fit really well.

TP rought fit.jpg
TP LH.jpg
TP RH.jpg

I probably could have left the flanges a bit wider but they will work just fine. Doug Bashur, the maker of these tail panels, said you can just screw these to the body and be done. I am planning to reuse the original reinforcing brackets here just to make it a bit stronger and may aide in removal as needed.

TP inside flange.jpg

I thought I had a decent pair of the license plate lamps. Unfortunately, the set I thought was intact broke at the screw holes when removed from the original tail panel. The other set from the original Formula wiring harness are in one piece but there are large cracks running through the lens part of the housing. I am hunting NOS but these were apparently 77-80 Sunbird hatchback only so I think I am going to struggle here. One of my buddies in Canada has a nice pair of them he is sending me. Thank God for the H-body community.

lamp 1.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 pm

I even test fit the tail panel with the spoiler end caps. The right side fit very well but the left side is telling me in need more fitting.

TP rough fit spoiler.jpg
TP rough fit spoiler 2.jpg

The original brackets from the Formula were rotted through.

TP brackets 2.jpg

Fortunately, the other brackets I have were in great shape and actually fit the car better than the original ones.

TP brackets.jpg

I dropped these in some Ospho overnight and will blast them next. Then they'll get some self etching primer and some paint for protection. These are inside the tail panel and will never be seen.

I still have a whole lot of work to do on this piece. I need to throw the hatch back onto the car and pull out the old weather stripping so I know what needs trimmed and adjusted. Then I have a ton of sanding and finish work to do before this would be ready to be mounted to the car.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am

More work on the tail panel. Making slow but good progress. I am taking my time so that I don't hopefully cut too much off and make more work for myself.

I cut the holes for the license plate lamps, mounts, and the slot for the bottom of the plate to drop into. Seems like an odd design that covers a bit of the bottom of the plate but the stock one is the same. I also opened up the lock hole. I used my eBay scored "Sunbird" license plate as the test piece. :D

Tailpanel 1.jpg

I think it is fitting pretty well finally. Still some trimming to do but coming along. There is a design issue I noted where the peek on the top edge is NOT there on the stock version. This will need to be shaved down so it is not sticking out beyond the spoiler. Other than that, this is a very well made piece and thank God Doug made these.

Tailpanel 2.jpg
Tailpanel 3.jpg

The last two holes to be cut are the taillights. I was terrified to cut these. If you're off there will be a big gap and a lot of work to fix that error. I asked Doug for advice and he said cut s smaller hole to let the part of the tail light that fits into the metal panel pass through the fiberglass. Then trace the outline of the taillight onto the fiberglass. Glad I asked because I was really struggling with just how to do this.

Tailpanel 4.jpg

There is still some room for error as the studs won't reach the metal panel and the taillight can still move around a bit. I cut the hole a bit larger but still inside my lines. I fitted the taillight and it is pretty close. Some cutting and grinding will get the taillight in easily. Hope to have this side fitted today.

Tailpanel 5.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 am

Looks great, awesome job and build. I wish I had the time to do a rotisserie resto on mine but just not going to happen. Hopefully by next year I will have a driveline back in mine and be able to start taking to the odd local show. You are building it 10x better than they did at the factory. It will be a very nice award winning car when completed.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:59 am

79MonzaSpyder wrote:Looks great, awesome job and build. I wish I had the time to do a rotisserie resto on mine but just not going to happen. Hopefully by next year I will have a driveline back in mine and be able to start taking to the odd local show. You are building it 10x better than they did at the factory. It will be a very nice award winning car when completed.

Thank you!! I need to get motivated and moving on it again. I tend to get distracted in the Summer with just cruising around on nice days in my other 80 Sunbird.

sunbird.jpg

I started doing some filler work on the tail panel and hope to have it finished soon. If I can motivate myself...
RedFiveKBS

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm

I know the feeling, my project is idle as well right now. Too many other things, camping, yard work, kids vehicles repairs, my own vehicle repairs, building or finishing building a new patio that I started last year when COVID hit, all stuff I want to get done before the rainy months show up.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:21 am

Hmmm.... I have discovered that I work on this car in the Spring before it gets hot and then again in late Summer and Fall before it gets too cold. :lol:

Anyways....I got back to work on the tail panel a few weeks ago and it is nearly completed.

It took some work to get this cut to fit around the tail lights.

TP1.jpg

I thought I was being careful and conservative but I ended up cutting the left taillight hole too large on the bottom.

TP2.jpg

Before and after. This really completes the look of the car. Now....to fix that left hole a bit.

TP3.jpg

Tossed on the spoiler to get some motiviation.

TP4.jpg
TP5.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 am

So after it was roughed into shape and fitting on the car, it was time to fix the voids and air pockets on the fiberglass tail panel. There were a number of areas where the edges were missing and needed to be rebuilt. I used Duraglass for the major edges that were missing.

Oh...I also used some fiberglass resin and a piece of the tail panel taillight hole to patch the part I cut out too large. This repair turned out pretty seamless once it was done.

TP11.jpg

Several coats of Duraglass were then used to rebuild some of the low spots and missing edges.

TP7.jpg

Followed but lots and lots of coats of Evercoat Rage Gold filler. Most of that filler landed on the ground as I worked to shape the piece.

TP8.jpg

Comparison to an original tail panel and the fiberglass one. The fiberglass is a bit beefier in areas especially on the flanges that go under the bumper. I suppose these could be cut back but they're under the bumper and I think they'll add some strength to the flange that goes under the bumper.

TP9.jpg

98% roughed into shape here. A few areas still need some sanding and then I will start to use some finer grade sandpaper to finish it out. Hopefully it will be in primer this weekend.

TP10.jpg
RedFiveKBS

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals