BurnoutsAndRotorblades 1972 Vega Kammaback V8 4 Speed

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BurnoutsAndRotorblades 1972 Vega Kammaback V8 4 Speed

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am

DarthVega wrote:Been following your build on YouTube and your vids really help a lot, thanks for taking the time to post your build!

I am happy I could help and I appreciate you watching and taking the time to give some feedback. So, thank you!!

Also, I am always open to suggestions and requests if you want something in particular.
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby DarthVega » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Well I have one question, I have a 57 284 block, I’m curious of which motor mounts you used? I’m not even sure if I would be able to use the same mounts, so I guess my real question is do you know if there are any differences between the blocks other than cylinder wall thickness?
[youtube][/youtube]Darth Vega
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:56 pm

DarthVega wrote:Well I have one question, I have a 57 284 block, I’m curious of which motor mounts you used? I’m not even sure if I would be able to use the same mounts, so I guess my real question is do you know if there are any differences between the blocks other than cylinder wall thickness?

I have the Don Hardy V8 conversion mount kit. The car had a V8 swap when I bought it so I don't know the specifics of installation firsthand. It looks pretty well bolt-in. I know when I was looking up the mounts before I bought my Vega, these mounts were hard to find. I have recently replaced the worn out rubber motor mounts with poly mounts. The application I used was from a 72 Chevrolet pickup. I ordered them from summit for less than $60. They were Energy Suspension part number 3.1156G. I have a video coming out about it as you would expect.

For the specifics on the blocks, I'm not a guru on that. As far as I know, a small block is a small block. For the dimensions, I'd have to use the casting number on the block and do some research.

I'll keep looking, and if I find anything more, I'll send it to you.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby DarthVega » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:55 am

Thanks a ton man, and I have a set of mounts but not sure if they are what I exactly need, listed as good for 283-350 blocks so hopefully they can do the job
[youtube][/youtube]Darth Vega
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:52 am

DarthVega wrote:Thanks a ton man, and I have a set of mounts but not sure if they are what I exactly need, listed as good for 283-350 blocks so hopefully they can do the job

i just saw some don hardy mounts come up on facebook market place. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=398 ... 9982961252
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:10 pm

I finally get rid of the restrictive budget exhaust that has likely been on the Vega since the late 70's in favor of something a guy can be proud of. Check out the Video for Vroom Vroom noises!

https://youtu.be/xTtBg8n6mcI
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 am

Some folks have been asking about the particulars of my Vega's Exhaust, so here goes.

The tubing was a mild Steel "Street Rod/Muscle Car Exhaust Kit 2-1/2" From Jegs Part Number : 555-30671. I originally ordered a similar kit from Summit but it was back ordered. I'm sure they are all from the same manufacturer in china so which kit you use ultimately makes little difference.

The flex sections were "TOTALFLOW TF-63150 Stainless Steel Double Braided Exhaust Flex Pipe-2.5" ID x 6" ordered from Amazon. Don't be fooled by the fact that "stainless steel" is in the title. They are for sure mild steel. I didn't want any complications welding so I ordered these specifically because the ends were mild steel. They work, but aren't going to make your show car better or racecar faster.

The V-Bands also came from Amazon in the form of "Kraken Automotive 2.5 Inch V Band Clamp" advertised to be A105 Mild Steel. They also welded on easily, but didn't seal as well as I'd hoped. The application of a little High-Heat permatex as shown in the video fixed that problem right up though.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 am

I went ahead a put together a short video on V8 swap engine mounting options, in addition to swapping my own mounts from my Don Hardy adapters.

https://youtu.be/m15ISO-m4k0
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:14 am

I want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to the forums here that are such a huge wealth of knowledge. I would be a bit lost without this forum so thank you! I don't want you guys to think I'm finished with the Vega. I do plan to enjoy it for a bit, but it will be getting more upgrades in the near future. I just wanted to do a progress checkup video. After an absolute ton of work, I let the one person I know who drove the Vega in stock form take it out for a spin and see what he thinks of how far it's come.

https://youtu.be/6ARitgGcdTg
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby RobR » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks for posting all these videos and the work involved. Lots of great info!
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Thank You for doing your part to raise the image of H-Bodies through your channel. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:06 pm

So, I would like to issue a retraction of sorts. In the Blazer spindle swap video and the corresponding post on page 5 of this thread, I say to move the upper balljoints outboard. After having it aligned and thinking about it, I would like to say: I do not recommend moving them outboard the as I did in the video.

The reason: moving the lower balljoint inboard 1/4" is plenty to compensate for any camber difference between the Blazer and Vega spindles.

Moving the top balljoint outboard then requires full deflection of the camber/caster adjusters on the lower control arm to prevent positive camber.

The solution: Install the upper balljoints centered in the widened hole of the upper control arm.

I still recommend swapping the upper control arms to their opposite sides for caster gain. doing so adds stability at speed.

I have put all this in the comments and descriptions of the effected videos.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Previous

Return to Project Journals